Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakking Monomoy

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Need some info and ideas.Can you camp on Islands ?How long of a paddle to North Island ?Is the South Island better ?We are going to do a Yak Fling somewhere on Cape.We will have a couple of guys coming from NY and NJ.All help and advice would b greatly appreciated and all yakkers on this board are welcome to join us.
thanks joev
Oh ya we are doing it next year in June

#2 ·
Ahhhh Monomoy!

Let's definitely plan to hook up. In fact, the yak clave discussions of late might just be the ticket because we could compare / contrast the benefits of each design and learn a lot from each other. Yaks are also so non-intrusive, compared to jetskiers for instance. No pollutants, no noise, perfect for a wildlife refuge.

Anyway, suffice it to say that we will make sure you and your friends are fully informed as to the launch points and key features of the refuge that will make the trip one you'll never forget.

A stop at the Chatham Angler's Club for a dram of the pogie oil is a must-do as well :D

#3 ·
I have Yaked from Ridgevale Beach in Chatham to North Monomoy. Ridgevale is the Beach right next to Hardings to the west.. It takes a good 1/2 hour to get to Morris Island and depending on the tide flow a good 1/2 hour to get into position at North Monomoy.. The north Tip of North Monomoy has some great flats that almost go into Morris Island so there is plenty od fishing to be done, especially on the West side of North Monomoy.. If you hit the east side and the corresponding west side of south beach it will take longer obviously. I will beach my yak and fish certain humps.. The key is to fish more and Yak less.

#5 ·
There is no camping anywhere on the refuge from Morris Island to North Monomoy to South Monomoy. There is great camping nearby though, we can talk about it as the season approaches.

Looking forward to it!

Hey Roop - have you ever kayak tobbogan'ed? We're getting pounded up here.

#8 ·
Where are the best spots there.Would it be worth to charter one of those Island ferrys to bring us out.Cut down on the paddle time.I have never fished on the Islands so I dont know to much about it.
joev

#9 ·
We'll give you the complete inside scoop as time arrives. Not necessarily on-line either, that's what private messages are for ;)

Let's just say the best time is a few months down the road. You'll know a lot about it soon enough. Monomoy isn't necessarily the best place to yak either, there are many other spots to consider - Nauset Inlet, Pleasant Bay, Brewster Flats, Barnstable / Sandy Neck, Essex estuary, Plum Island Sound, Annisquam, too many to list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.