Fly Fishing Forum banner

mid arbor vs. large arbor

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JR SPEY 
#1 ·
Which is best for inshore saltwater fishing, Also would the Orvis Battenkill reel work for bones and small tarpon? I am looking for a back up outfit for an up coming trip to Belize. Any help woul be appreciated.

#2 ·
i would think for tarpon you'd want the largest arbor possible relative to the rod. you'll appreciate it when you're reeling it in. that said, you'll want 250 yards of backing-maybe more depending on whether or not you're on a boat.
as for the battenkill reel, i'm not sure that that's the way to go. i think you'll need a heavy duty salt water reeland if my memory serves me right the battenkill is a fresh water reel. anyway, there are plenty of moderately priced reels around that are made for salt water conditions. i'd check out nautilus or danielson..

#3 ·
The bonefish in Belize are small as are the tarpon so I would not worry too much about the capacity of the reel as you will probably not get into the backing.

However as nmbrowncom states you need a saltwater reel as saltwater is extremely corrosive and will destroy a reel that is not up to it.
I don't know the normal Battenkill but I know a few people who use the Mid and large arbour reels in the salt with success.

#4 ·
nmbrowncom said:
i would think for tarpon you'd want the largest arbor possible relative to the rod. you'll appreciate it when you're reeling it in. that said, you'll want 250 yards of backing-maybe more depending on whether or not you're on a boat.
as for the battenkill reel, i'm not sure that that's the way to go. i think you'll need a heavy duty salt water reeland if my memory serves me right the battenkill is a fresh water reel. anyway, there are plenty of moderately priced reels around that are made for salt water conditions. i'd check out nautilus or danielson..
Since outer diameter and width determine the speed of retrieve and NOT the arbor size, I would say that if the other measurements are about the same I would opt for the mid-arbor in order to increase capacity. Normally for either a bonefish or a tarpon reel 250yds is getting to be pretty much standard, although as already noted you won't need anywhere near that much where you're headed. However, if some day you want to use the same gear to fish in the Keys or whatever then you'll appreciate having a reel with enough capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.