Regards....jake

Sorry forgot to add the pattern

Hook: Tiemco TMC 2488 #12-#20
Thread: Brown
Tail and antennae: White sparkle yarn
Abdomen: Stripped peacock quill
Wingcase: Thin strip of neoprene
Thorax: Peacock herl
Wingbuds: Loop of light brown goose biots on both sides a little towards the bottom

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice tie

I tie a pattern just like that but use snowshoe fur or CDC instead of the antron. Keeps the fly in the film pretty well (for a while at least). The neoprene is a good idea.

Jake you must have some big Chiros out there to do a size 12! We dont get anything bigger than an 18 - 20 in these parts and I'm usually stuck with 24s if I want to actually catch anything.

Haul - love the new title. Banged out 7 freshwater rat's asses last night for the warmwater swap - will that be enough flies (including one for yourself?)

Dave

#4 ·
Dave, I still smile whenever I see your avatar signature. My new title was given to me by my two and a half year old neice after I relieved her of any remaining cookies in the family jar. :devil:

No comments from the peanut gallery!!!

Yes, that's enough flies for the swap.....6 to swap, and one extra for the meister if you're so inclined. Looking forward to seeing them.

#5 ·
Big Dave

The Chirono's here in BC can get huge...we have some here we call bombers......1 1/2 inches long...you can tie them on a size 8 3x long shank and just start to match the hatch....the one in the pic I cannot remember what size it is but judging from the size of the antron I am going to say 12.....I have a new material that makes the most outstanding gills I have ever seen.
It is called "Wooly nylon" and you can find it in any sewing store....it is apparently used on sergers.....it comes in 900 meter rolls...enough to last several life times...about $8 a spool...when it is pulled tight it is very slim...when you let it go after it has been cut it flairs up just like the real gills on a chironomid

I cannot remember who the originator is...I think it is from a fellow over in Europe ...so I cannot take credit for it. Whoever it was did a fine job....

I will post more of my favorites as the season approaches. I can see that the trout section needs some bolstering....we are way behind the stipers and steelhead

Nice chatting with you fellows

Best regards....jake

#6 ·
Jake,

Wow those are some big bugs. The biggest STONEFLY adults we get around here are about a sz 8 3x hook! The fish must go nuts when those suckers are squirming in the surface film.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work. Gotta get a digital camera so I can post some ties of my own...

Dave

#7 ·
Dave

Yes they are huge and the fish look like pirahna feeding...as for the stones here...well lets just say that a 3 inch black stone is nothing to get excited about....must be something in the water....or should I say lack of something in our water...

I too have got to get a digital soon.....

I would like to post more patterns, but that means running into work and borrowing a camera.

regards...Jake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.