Fly Fishing Forum banner

Excited about the Carolina Clave!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mattb 
#1 ·
There's a groundswell of interest in heading to Carolina for mondo albies this fall... I've heard it mentioned in the planning criteria for so many people lately that I'm starting to think it's in our destiny, our karma, written in the cards - unstoppable fate! What the heck, I always wanted to lose a fly line to a fish or bust three rods in a week. If a guy like Steve Moore comes back from SC like he's been to war, it piques my interest. Pictures from Gil Berke really blow my mind. And the price of it all - who could afford not to try it?

We already had an initial interest poll, I am just writing this to say "holy #### we're goin' to Carolina this year!"

#4 ·
Matt,

That Would Be Great!!

Since my trip to FLA with my dad did not work out, I really want the two of us to do this.

A couple of logistical things popped into my head right away, so I'll just jot them down.

(1) Flying vs. Driving. I.e., cost of airfare & rental car vs. extra time spent driving. Driving would also make bringing a boat an option, but as I understand it, boat rentals are fairly inexpensive.

(2) Lodging. Cottage vs. Motel. A cottage may require a one week minimum, where Motel rooms would be looser. But a cottage would allow for cooking & less food cost & less resteraunts. As well as having a single HQ.

(3) Length of stay. Full week or Long Weekend?

(4) When? Nate is advocating a late Oct. early Nov. timeframe, but there's a lot of action right through Turkey Day.

#7 ·
Ok, I don't have time to do a full post right now, but here's some quick info: You can get a flight from Manchester, NH to New Bern, NC(~1 hour from Harkers i think--Nate?) for about $200 and there you can rent a car or catch a bus to Morehead City. Or, you can fly into raliegh-durham and drive down, which is a little over 4 hours if i remember right. I know some folks do drive down, i think it takes roughly 14 hours(800+ miles) from boston to morehead city. Traffic can be a big factor on this one.

I don't really have any info on boat rentals, perhaps nate might know about this.

There is plenty of lodging in Morehead City, and then there's also a few places out on Harkers Itself. I remember seeing some cottages for rent, but i can't find the number right now, so i'll try to put that up later.

I think sometime around the end of oct, beginning of Nov would be ideal, that seems to be when the best fishing occurs and that's also when Tom Earnhart's(sp?) Pig roast is. I just missed it last year, but i've heard that it's quite an event.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.