Fly Fishing Forum banner

Walden Report

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Powers 
#1 ·
I went to Walden pond on my lunch hour yesterday to walk and maybe see some fishing. I parked in the lot across the street from the pond for free. As I crossed the street 2 older gents with spinning gear were on their way out with a stringer of 3 or 4 ~14" rainbows. When I got down to the shore I noticed 2 guys to the left of the bath house waist high in water fly casting. I walked over to observe. As I approached the men I noticed a big splash between them. Neither redirected their fly to the rise. Hmmm? Then I noticed another splash, then about 5 more at one instant. I thought what the heck? Smallys mating? Then a guy comes walking down the shore with a spinning rod and asks as he passes "how many they put in?" One of the flycasters says "he told me 700, butI'm not sure". I turn around to see I'm standing on the stalking truck roadway. These fish were just hanging around that inlet, jumping like crazy. I've never been that close to a stock before. Made me long for the brookies in the alders up in....ah...well...near central mass.

TerryW

#2 ·
Hah! I did the same thing about two years ago. Went to Walden on a lunch hour [with a fishing rod] and saw all manner of trout porpoising and leaping around that cove. They were so freshly stocked that they weren't interested in feeding, just in swimming around in something that wasn't concrete. There was even a dead trout on the ramp that had been squished by the stocking truck.

So, uh, where are these alders that you like?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.