Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trip Suggestion Request

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pinky 
#1 ·
Question for the gallery:

I'm looking for a trip suggestion for maybe next spring for the tropics. Bones, small Tarpon, maybe a shot at a Permit. I have experience sight casting for Bones. My limitations are that I'll probably be travelling myself so that ups my cost. I'm not guide adverse and probably would like to fish from a boat, or not. I'm looking for a week at maybe $2000 (not including my airfare to major city of wherever). So, where looks good and what months are best? Open to suggestions.

#4 ·
Thanks Vince, I have read the link about the Inagua lodge. Yeah the fishing there sounds great but have some reservations about being there alone, as self sufficient as I am. My major concern is that I'll be burning most of my week figuring things out and just have it knocked about the day before I have to leave. I've been a lot of places and the first trip turns out to be a "learning experience" for the next time, which most times doesn't happen. So, is there someone there I can get pointers from every day? Do I have to brush up on my orienteering so I don't get lost with provided map and my compass? I suppose if I look at it as an exploratory trip with the intention of going back if I think it's worth it then it might not be too bad. Who do I contact with questions?

#5 ·
Certainly with DIY trips there is a learning curve. However we do provide you with some great Intel and maps for the island. Also, Henry Hugh the owner of the lodge can assist you and point you in the right direction. And you get one guided day on the interior Lake included too. This is done via truck so you'll be with a native guide who can show you many good tarpon spots.

You can call me with any questions you might have. 716-479-2327

#6 ·
trip suggestions

You could try Ascension Bay in Punta Allen Mexico
Try contacting Mike at Casa De Ascension. I've used him a couple of times and he has good guides, good accomodations and great food at very reasonable rates. Here is a URL to his site
http://69-195-95-211.unifiedlayer.com/casadeascensionhotel/rooms.html

I'm pretty sure you can still get a full week of guided fishing, all inclusive that will fit into your budget and that includes pickup and delivery from Cancun airport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.