Fly Fishing Forum banner

striper patterns -> coho patterns?

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  juro 
#1 ·
When I look at the striper fly archive's recent fly swap entries, I see a lot of great ideas for saltchuck coho patterns.

I know my striper fly tying was greatly influenced by coho salmon fly tying that preceded it, and that my coho fly tying is now greatly influenced by striper flies.

The main factor is that the hook position must not be so forward oriented that a side-swiping salmon would miss the hookup. Stripers will get hooked with a one-inch hook on a ten inch snake fly because they target the head of their prey and engulf it with that bucket mouth in one move.

Coho tend to hit their prey from the sides or grasp it while they work it into swallowing position. They will make repeated swipes at a large herring, scales flying off the doomed baitfish.

I used tube flies a lot off Sekiu to keep the hook in the back half of the fly. Any long shank (TMC 911s for instance) adaptation would do I bet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.