Fly Fishing Forum banner

I Am Fascinated With Scotland

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  marcusjanssen 
#1 · (Edited)
Two years ago my Glasgow born wee Emily and I motored an astonishing distance in the north of Scotland. I was truly amazed at the beauty and heart of your country and people. From Loch Lomond, to Oban, Ben Nevis to Ullapool through the north west upper lowlands and further north to Thurso and down to Helmesdale over the Ness, Spey, Dee, Tummel, Tay and Tweed. We held back tears upon leaving the Borders.

As this was a trip for my wife back to the homeland, I did only fish for one day on beat 13 of the Thurso. On this drive, so long as the places of her interest were on the route, Emily was happy. I basically pointed the car toward every river valley and where we ended up for the day is where we stayed. We found the accommodations and food wonderful.

What I find a most impressive natural phenomenon, is the length of your salmon season. I know the weather is not all kippers and eggs, but salmon in January? I have spent a great deal of time following the possibilities to extend my North American season by making the short hop across the pond. I am contemplating a slight diversion from a business trip to Italy in March.

In addition, this July the family will take holiday in Scotland. We plan to base ourselves for one of the weeks in the Grampians. Mom Macaulay and Em want to see castles and museums. I want to make sure I have at least 4 days of the two weeks for salmon. I realize that a short distance in many directions will place me on a number of famed rivers.

If you would be so kind to please answer the following question. If you had three days in late March and four days in early July to fish salmon in Scotland, where would you want to cast? Your experience will be greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear on PM from anyone with available water. My dates in March are 24, 25, 26.

All the very best,

C.R.O.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You seem to have a canny choice on picking good beats, Thurso Beat 13 probably my first choice though 4, 2 would be in there as well.

Cannot really argue with Graham, though in late March the Spey would be beginning to catch up. Gordon Armstrong will pop up soon shouting about the Ness System and the Moriston is producing some nice fish already.

July..........Grilse the only draw back might be getting on a river. Again Graham is correct but the North rivers also have good grilse runs.

Where would you suggest Gordon? the Kyle?

#4 ·
If you are staying in Grampian, the Dee and the Spey are both within easy reach. Malcolm is correct, the Spey is beginning to pick up late March. It may be an idea to book a couple of days on each river just for variety. If you look up the FishScotland web site, this will give you a list of available beats on either river. It will also give you the catch reports for each river.

#5 ·
By the end of March the spring run is really kicking off on the main spring rivers.

Personally I would not look past the Dee. Over the last 3-4 years it has provided some of the most consistent spring fishing around, along with some of the most beautiful fly water available anywhere.

In July you really are in the peak of the grilse run. There are countless rivers that will provide first class sport. For me the likes of the Kyle of Sutherland, Helmsdale (club water), Conon and Findhorn will be hard to beat.

Salar33 it may well be worth your while giving Malcolm (aka Willie Gunn) a pm.
As I am aware, he has started his own guiding business.
He should be able to sort you out with some of the very best of fishing in the Grampians and the North.

Gordon

#6 ·
It's As Simple As One, Two, Dee

Dear Malcolm, Gordon and Graham,

So I guess the vote is for the Dee. What a dream come true this will be. I plan to make the trip from Milan to Aberdeen on the 23rd. Your help is so greatly appreciated.

I have been blessed to fish some of the finest waters in North America. I work hard to place myself in places that have the history and ecstatic value that rivers like the Dee offer. What I have learned through years of experience is that I angle to enrich and recharge my soul. The difference this year is that the charging will not have to wait until June.

With thanks,

C.R.O.

P.S. Gordon, I do like the situation on the Ness. The first number of pools are most interesting. Inverness is a great town.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Hi there, i would also add the 2 esks. The north for grilse/ summer salmon and the south for sea trout.
I also believe you can combine fishing the 2 rivers over a few days or even the 2 rivers in 1 day.
The chap that does the letting on this arrangement has the first beat on the north esk(which can be spectacular) and a lovely sea trout beat on the south. : If you would like any info just drop me a line
ps This is for the summer as opposed to spring.

All the best Richard

#8 ·
The Avon (Pronounced A'an)

If you're looking for fishing in July, as someone mentioned, you might battle to get a beat on the Spey. However, despite being a relatively small river, the Avon, which is the biggest tributary of the Spey, fishes particularly well in July. I work in a hotel which has fishing on the Avon, and spend as much time as possible on the river. July was the river's best month in 2004, and provided that there is enough water in the river (being a spate river, it is heavily dependent on a decent level of water) it can provide superb salmon, grilse and seatrout fishing.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.