Fly Fishing Forum banner

Season opens !

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RWalsh 
#1 ·
Our salmon season opened here in Ireland on January 1st, but only on a handful of rivers.
The first salmon of the season was landed on the Lennon River (Watt`s pool), on opening day by a 14 year old angler, and weighed in at 8.5 lbs.
The following day a fish of 11 lbs was taken from the same river.
On the starting blocks !

Cascade.

Willie Gunn, any activity in your part of the world, or are you open yet?

Cascade.

#2 ·
Cascade

Good to hear of some early activity.

The first rivers to open are in the north (Borgie,Helmsdale,Naver etc) on the 11th Jan.

As is the norm, the first fish is most likely to come off the Borgie or Moriston which opens on the 15th.

I am itching to wet a line :devil: , it's been a long winter.

Tight lines

Gordon

#3 ·
That makes two of us Gordon !
Hope to be fishing the Lennon next week for a couple of days, to blow the cobwebs off. :cool:
Hope you get on well with the season opening, be sure to let us know.

Tight lines,

Peter.

#4 ·
For some of us poor souls the season has never closed. What with fishing for brood stock for hatcheries then the research to try and establish if there was a late run and where it ran to.
I'm just fair exhausted.just a day off today as the snow melt has pushed the river up too high to fish.
it is a hard life but someone has to put himself out for the rest of you.

(now where is that tongue in cheek icon?)

#5 ·
And there was me thinking that you were all sitting beside the fire, sipping a single malt, checking the tackle, and counting the days down like the rest of us. :roll:
Achh well ! Have to accept you get more snow than we do. :hihi:

Peter.

#6 ·
Willie Gunn said:
For some of us poor souls the season has never closed. What with fishing for brood stock for hatcheries then the research to try and establish if there was a late run and where it ran to.
I'm just fair exhausted.just a day off today as the snow melt has pushed the river up too high to fish.
it is a hard life but someone has to put himself out for the rest of you.

Malcolm, Sorry to hear you have it so hard. I must have missed the post where you asked for some help to releive you of this burden. Be glad to fly over and gve you a hand anytime. ;)

#7 ·
Sweet in January !

Just returned from the River Lennon last night after three days fishing, and a little shooting to boot.
On our first day, the water was a little high, and winds of 60-80mph gave us quite a hard days fishing.......one fish lost at the net.
On our second day, (my good friend Nick Bennett was with me), we had 2 fish, the first about 9lb, and the second a little smaller........returned to grow a little.
Our final day, we threw every fly in the box at them and not so much as an offer, and there were some good anglers on the river that day !
However, home now and ready for the next trip.
They`re really sweet in January when you`ve been waiting so long !
Tight lines.

Cascade.

#8 ·
The Lennon

Peter,
I've just joined this forum on a reccomendation from an angler in the US. I'm based in Dublin and was interested to see you've been on the Lennon already this year. I was a regular with Alan and I'm finding the current situation a bit weird. I was trying to book days through Alan and I'm now in contact with Milo but he seems a little slow to get back to me with confirmation. Any insights you have would be gratefully accepted. I spent most of the winter tying heavy tubes and if this keeps up I won't even get them wet! I was up there on opening day when the pool was supposed to be free fishing for regulars but the goings on were a little weird to say the least. I tried upstream a bit on opening day and got one good pull near Dromod bridge but that was it.
Ronan

#9 ·
Keep trying !

Ronan,
to say that the situation is weird up there, is an understatement.
However, this always has the potential to happen when a business changes hands, as I understand to be the case.
I believe, and hope, that the fog will lift shortly.
All I can suggest to you is that you haunt Milo Jr. for dates. He`s a grand lad, just a little laid-back.
If you need his mobile number, just let me know and I will PM it to you.
Do persevere with him Ronan, as the run should be getting even better, and there are not many places as good as there this early on.
Get them tubes wet, and please let me know how you get on.

Tight lines.

Peter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.