Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Thrill???!!

5K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  QuebecSporting 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning,
I am curious...what excites you the most while fishing!!

When "salmo" takes the fly?
The fight he gave you?
The jumps?
The size he was??
Seeing him take a dry fly??
Or the feeling when you let him go ??

Photo: York River (June 2004)

Fishing is not over yet!!! 2 more months!!!

Ann :smokin:

See less See more
#2 ·
The Buzz !

For me, the greatest moment is when I drop the loop, let him eat it, and feeling him come onto the reel. Now the sport begins....the runs, the jumps, one-on-one, just a line between us !
However, might I say that my first love outside the options provided, is the company, the craic, and the whole experience. A fish, is just more cream on the cake !
Peter

#7 ·
I remember reading somewhere about how the wealthy salmon anglers of old having successfully hooked a salmon would then pass the rod to their ghillie to deal with the 'bothersome task' of landing the fish.

There's nothing quite like the moment when Salmo Salar says "yes" :smokin:

#11 ·
A great thrill for me is moving a fish, or seeing another angler hook a fish on a fly tied by me. However, releasing a large fish, and feeling the strength come back into their body is very powerful to the point of being almost overwhelming. There is as much or more whooping and hollering when a fish is released healthy as when it is first hooked. Always cause for a toast to the "River Gods". We never net, we always tail whether we are retaining or releasing the fish. This is something that we believe promotes viability of the fish when released. Minimal handling is the key. Play them hard, release them quickly.

#13 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Having cabin fever again today, I decided to go fish online for comfort. :confused:

My reply on this one is.....

Where I get really nervous is when I feel the fish in going to come out "sky high"
I feel him preparing for the jump....and out he comes!!!
Goodness!!!! He's still on!!!! :chuckle:

Ah!! I feel better already!!! And fishing is coming soon!!!

Happy Spring!!

Ann

#14 ·
My favourite moment is being above the fish on the bank.You have on a big fluffy Royal Wulff you can see the fish in the clear water and you just know that he is going to smash that fly for all he is worth.You see him start to fidget he comes up from the bottom like a rocket mouth open then he just crushes that fly when he has it you wait until it's time to pull.You don't want to pull too soon (trout fisherman) when you finally pull and feel that first big tug that drives me wild.Especially a really good raise where the water flies the more vicious the raise the better. :devil: :devil:

#15 ·
The take is the reason I do this ... the fight is fun, I love to see them jump, to hold them, release them ... and of course bigger is better ... but the take is what gets my heart pumping. To see the flash ... then the splash ... the line strighten ... Life is good ... very good!

#16 · (Edited)
I love the take, but even better is a take after a long drought. I fish on a limited budget, so rarely get to fish the right water(beats) at the right time. When you fish for a long time without even a pull and then a fish comes and rips line from the reel... nothing beats it, all of a sudden you feel like you are fishing again.

#18 ·
Different things set my pulse racing every time I go fishing. It may be using a new rod, fishing new water or seeing a big fish but i suppose the feeling you get when a fish takes the fly is the best a bit like an orgasam short lived but you spend most of your life looking for the next fix.

#19 ·
The connection!

Have any of you taken the time to make eye contact with an Atlantic Salmon as you revive/release it. Feeling the pulse deep in their belly as they gain strength and staring deep into the salmons eye, almost human. Do any of you know what i mean by this connection? All aspects have been mentioned and they are all a big part of it , but the connection with each fish seems to be where it's at for me now.
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>

#20 ·
For me, and when I have the opportunity to fish for them which is usually about once every other year. But with the family and young children I haven't been in the last 4 years.

I always liked the take that you feel right down the rod to your arm. Nothing like a good hard pull on the end to get the excitement pumping again.

Then a quick photo and a release to wonder where the fish is off to.

Love the pictures of the Gaspe and will one day get there to view the real deal.

Cheers - Hansen

#21 ·
i have always been a sucker for that top water strike and last year while being introduced to fly fishing with dry flies i was having a blast catching 10" brookies on the fly rod.

I also love the sound that is made by the fly rod and line as it whips through the air. :rolleyes:

#23 ·
Someone wrote "The tug is the drug." My sentiments exactly. There's nothing like a HARD take from an aggressive bright new fish.

Jumps, tail walking and crazy battle are pretty good too.

Ann - Love your photos!!!! This steelheader has had the desire to fish Atlantics for some time now. Your beautiful pictures are not helping it to be forgotten or to wane at all!

#24 · (Edited)
Good evening "This Steelheader"

I have friends on this board......fishing for "Steelhead", not showing thier secret pools....... And, I am upset!!!!! :(

I always thought it was " high waters, fast currents ( me probably tied to a tree!!) and rough waters......

Roch'n Roll" fishing!!!!!

I have a few photos...... and I cannot believe they are hiding this..!!
me with "cabin fever" and you guys are fishing!!!!!!! :devil:

You don't know what you have in your hands!!!!!

I wouldn't mind throwing a few flies in this NY River...

hey... you "digital" anglers I know!!!....... show us your waters....

It's out in the open now!!!!! :devil:

Will you still come and see me, guys???? :rolleyes:

A....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.