Fly Fishing Forum banner

wanted: first striper infos

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm from europe and would like to make my first striper fly fishing trip to the east coast USA next year.
I never fished for striper before and so I'm interested in all. But for a start up I have especially the following questions:
- What is the best time of the year to catch my first stripers from the beach (not interested in boat fishing)?
- Can you help me with some websites to learn about the fishing?
- What gear would you recommend?
- Where should I start? Boston area?
Thanks,
Stefan

#2 ·
If you are a flyfisherman, this is the best site on the web - putting all modesty aside on behalf of the readership. I get the feeling you are.

For the best overall experience, I would suggest mid-June on Cape Cod, Massachusetts specifically the Chatham area which allows you to take advantage of the outer beaches, the bay the sound and of course Monomoy Wildlife refuge.

Do a search on any topic you want in the striper board; then tell us when you are coming and I am certain some of the Forum membership will greet you for some face to face camaraderie that is the trademark of this community.

One never knows when they might travel to Germany and need a little guidance as to where to fish!

#3 ·
Hi Stefan

You have come to the right place:)

-What is the best time of the year to catch my first stripers from the beach (not interested in boat fishing)?
I would say the last week of June is close to perfection, especially around the time of the second Moon. We usually get together for our Spring Clave at the end of May. You can catch a lot of fish from the beach in late May but the weather at the end of June is a lot warmer.
- Can you help me with some websites to learn about the fishing?
I would start right here. Work back through the threads on this board and the archive of striper flies boards. Also try a Google search for "Fly Fishing Cape Cod" and you will find a lot of great information.
- Where should I start? Boston area?
Cape Cod:smokin:

#4 ·
Hi Stefan,
Listen to the guys on this site , there's alot of knowledge to be had from them.
They helped us last year when we (the UK mob ) came over for a visit in June to the Chatham area.
With there help, we all caught alot of Stripers and Bluefish and had a good time with some of the nicest people you could wish to meet.
Go in mid to late June and enjoy the best fishing in the World !

Dave:)

#5 ·
welcome Stefan,

when you are 'Google-ing' you may find inputting 'flats stripers monomoy' a good term too.

sight fishing for big stripers on north monomoy flats is an experience few european anglers will have had. it is truly a 'new world' experience and i loved every frustrating minute of it - but only after i'd hooked one. :chuckle:

the beach fishing was mainly great too, the locals despite speaking a strange and magical form of English were a very friendly lot, and even the beer was quite good.

I can't wait to return.

Mark ( UK)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.