Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rhody Clave First Report

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 · (Edited)
Heard from Jim W who was out in his boat today...Some Blues off Watch Hill...He will be taking a shot at Montauk in the am..water at Sandy Point was dirty..looks like the decision not to yak that area was a good one...we should have some phone reports from a little East of that area tomorrow evening :lildevl:

#2 ·
Before I start to ramble I want to thank John for taking the enormous job of being our Phone Miester. As you can see from his post, he is diligently filling his shoes well! Jim W, our fish finder "extrodinaire" has called in the first of what I hope will be many reports to follow from the groups that join in the festivities.
Reports I am reading have shown that the best fishing opportunities in recent days occurred when the barometer spelled lower pressure. The eight day rain period, as nasty as it was, turned on the Cape Cod Canal to the likes that many have not seen in recent years. Jf is biting his nails as we speak because he is leaving the cows in that area to spend some quality time with us and test the RI waters. Grizz will be in Late Friday night with Judith who plans to join him fishing. There are so many good natured human beings I hope to spend some time with this weekend that share my love for being on and in the water and enjoying the great outdoors regardless of what sees the ends of our lines. The true test of a kindred spirit lies in what he or she does when it starts to rain! Just remember the last time you stuck it out waiting for the higher tides in the rain and all hell broke loose! The rain becomes minor compared to the bend in the rod.

Last report is that Paxton has gone bonkers not having fished in 2 & 1/2 weeks so he will be down to fish with Bill the Fish Hawk Friday morning. Drew and his crew will be arriving as well. Our Command Central chaired, by JF Basser, will be starting live coverage sometime after he has digested a noontime triple cheeseburger. Adrian will arrive Saturday to find some very unusual color flowing from the Pawcatuck River before he decides to launch his yak at Barn Island. Mike Z is too busy fishing already to pick up the phone ( just kidding fella!). Steve the Slinger will be sorely missed as his priorities are family orientated. Steve, how am I going to buy you that dinner? Sean M. is probably outside in the dark preparing Jonesey for another ride in the morning from Barn Island. Good luck Sean and Jim rounding the Montauck Lighthouse!

Me? I just arrived home with a spanking new GE 50 Gallon hot water heater from the Depot and I don't know hoot about plumbing. What the hell is flux and how does it suck solder? I hope to get a few hours in with the Friday arrivals before I
ihead out to Conn College for a wedding shoot. After that's done I will meet up with the crew at the Andrea Flood Lights to see how Basser's plugs are working.

Let's ROCK!!!!!!!!

Phil

#3 ·
Looks like the Sunday Clavers are in for a treat! Showers in the morning ending around noon just before the top of the flood. Fellas......please remember to charge those cell phones for Saturday and Sunday.

Phil

#5 · (Edited)
Hey guys sorry but I am out. Found out yesterday I need to another procedure to get rid of more kidney stones on Monday. That is the day my big work project launches so I am working this weekend. Sorry for the late notice, I was really looking forward to it.

I did sneak out to CCB this morning for a few hours and the fishing was most excellent so the the fish gods took care of me and I am sure they will do the same for you guys.

-sean

#6 ·
Well my plan is to launch early morning somewhere out east near the festivities. I am still in pain but with the pain meds in my pocket I am going to just deal with it and get out to cast a line or two. I have a friend on the water as we speak and will report back when I here from him what is up. He was headed in the direction of Watch Hill/Wicopissett Reef while not being inshore it will give us some idea of fish in the area. And I am sure he will meander around the shoreline as well.

#7 ·
Rhody AM meeting plans.

JF Basser, Fish Hawk, Chris, Drew and I met for dinner in Westerly tonight to build a game plan for Saturday. We meet at the cabanas parking lot at the head of Napatree Point at 6:30 am.

We're hopeful that the barometric pressure tomorrow will change the fishing scene for the better. We fished today with little success from Napatree to Weekapaug. Took the crew back to my place in Mystic. One fish. Tomorrow is another day so we will all meet as a Clave and wet lines together in the morning.

Jim W and Sean M. had the day of their lives off Montauk. Basser wants me to rent a BIG boat! Weather was great today. Calm seas, no surf and little wind.

So, we have Grizz, Fish Hawk, Drew, Chris, Quentin, Mike Z, Bonefishmon and Adrian for Saturday morning. If Sean M decides to leave Jonesey on the trailer we are hoping he will show as well as Slinger. Ron, it was great to see you today. I enjoyed your company. We'll call you if the fishing turns on.

Paddy's at 7PM for pizza and suds maybe earlier if the weather does not co-operate.

Phil

#8 ·
Enjoyed Friday with Bill and Phil. Phil gave us a detailed tour of South Coastal fishing areas from Mystic Conn and many miles east......he certainly knows the area and graciously pointed out every nook and cranny that was "fishy"....although the day was fishless for Bill and I...the tour gave both of us info that would take 20 yrs to learn...thanks Phil for sharing all those locations! By the way....Phil lives in heaven!!!! The spots to fish within 1/2 mile of his house would make me never leave my home area......a fortunate man!!!! An absolutley beautiful area!!!!! Apologies for wimping out with today's weather forecast for times of torrential rain....hope that all you non wimps kick fish butt and if some of you are on the water....be safe! :)
Ron

#9 ·
On going report

Today was epic! Not totally from a fishing sense as it was a fly choice sense. Of all the flies Drew had to choose from his huge selection while fishing the bayside (Yup, Sandy Point side) he picked one of the first flies I ever tied without me knowing it was already famous. A Joe Brooks Blond. We were all lined up side by side being humbled while Drew caught bass after bass while we watched in awe. We did not possess the magic fly. Grizz managed a few with a bay anchovie pattern. The barometric change brought an entirely different day on Saturday. More birds, lots of rain. So, the weather spirits were in our favor thanks to the rain!

Heading for the tying table to look for some very old, flat tinsel and some white bucktail. We try again tomorrow.

Phil

#10 ·
Group Meal

The Group Meal tonight was also an event to remember. Pizza, munchies, and a great cake...all consumed at Paddy's with birds working in the lights...Hope the rain eases up for you guys tomorrow.. Great get together :smokin:

#11 ·
Well I did make it on the water yesterday, unfortunately I never saw anyone and it was not for lack of trying. I called every number on the phone list on my way east early in the morning. Never reached anyone except for Bill's (Fishhawk) wife, I was very embarrassed that I had awoken her so early in the morning and apologized profusely explaining I had mistakenly thought the number was Bill's cell phone. She was very gracious and understanding and explained that she had been awaken many times early in the morning by fishermen. Bill I am sorry and I hope your wife doesn't skin you alive for my stupidity. Anyway I hit the water early and went straight to Fishers Island south side. I plugged the rocks before sunup hoping to score a biggun on some real nice wooden swimmers my friend had made me. No joy and there was a surprising lack of fish in the area I usually always find fish. I headed over to the Watch Hill reefs anf found much the same there. The tide was dead slack so i think this is why there was a lack of action. I headed down the beach to Weekapaug looking for signs of fish and clavers never finding either. JF called me while I was at Weekapaug and told me everyone was at Napatree so I headed that way. I got over to Watch Hill and there were some scattered albies but I was not able to hookup due to some mindless guy who kept cutting off my drift. I headed from there to naps and looked around for the group but never found you all. I assume you were all on the inside and I unfortunately never made it around the corner to check. I talked with Slinger who managed to sneak out for a morning sortie but he could not stay long and didn't manage too much. I ended my day over at Race Pt. where I had 3 straight hours of blitzing Albies, Bass, and Blues with only 4-5 boats on them. Unfortunately the Albies were in a lock jaw mode and I managed only 3. They were feeding on larger bait that I am guessing was Juvie Herring, I have a couple of them saved and if I can get a pic up of them I will post. Total tally for the day, couple of small bass, couple of small blues, 3 Albies, 1 large Porgy, and one errantly snagged and unhappy sea gull that bled all over my deck. man they bleed worse than Bluefin and it was only a minor hook stick in the wing. It did fly off seemingly unscathed and I hope it will be alright as I hate to hurt anything.

#13 ·
The group did pretty well considering the lack of a strong tide. Barometric pressure brought with it high winds today and little to non existent bird accitvity. Adrian, Bill, Chuck, Quentin and I fished together this morning at Napatree on the inside with a howling wind at our back. Adrian was the only one to score a keeper and another was close. Adrian has a nack for fishing a floating line with tendem flies. Well done Adrian. Several schoolies in the mix and then we called it quits with lack of the sweeping tide we had yesterday. No albies today. We tried the outside as well. I'm beginning to like foul weather more and more after yesterday.

Looks like those CCB fish are very content for now. We'll be fishing well into October this year. Many thanks to all those that came long distances to fish with me in my home waters. Please PM me if you are in the area over the next three weeks so that I can join you. I sincerly hope everyone made it home safely. Let's do this again soon! The 2005 Fall Rhody Clave. Look for it again next year!

Phil

#14 ·
bonefishmon said:
Jim W and Sean M. had the day of their lives off Montauk. Basser wants me to rent a BIG boat! Weather was great today. Calm seas, no surf and little wind.

Phil

I think the above is a bit of an exageration. A few days with the SBFT this summer certainly come to mind first. However, the afternoon bite was filled with steady action and I think we all enjoyed Montauk in October. Hoping that the funny fish will stick around one more week and for a better weather weekend.

Sean

#15 · (Edited)
Kudos

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Phil did a great job on this one. It seemed that he was always in two to three places at once either showing fellow Clavers spots, giving directions, and picking up food...Great Job Phil...Hope you do it again next year :lildevl:

#16 ·
jfbasser said:
I don't think it ia an exaggeration to say that Phil did a great job on this one. It seemed that he was always in two to three places at once either showing fellow Clavers spots, giving directions, and picking up food...Great Job Phil...Hope you do it again next year :lildevl:

Thanks John. I think I'll wait til the CCB empties next time! LOL!!!!! We sure could have used more fish but we, sorry, (Fish Hawk) found um and I am very happy. That was not a new spot where we ended up but I plan to spend a lot more time there in the future. Thanks very much to Fish Hawk. The Osprey was getting hungry. It helps to have a fish eating bird, I mean guy along! LOL!!!!! Bill...You da man fella!
We need a Rhody Yak Clave before the season ends. Sandy Point. I'm not done yet! We proved that area is hot this weekend! Tanin water or not. Who's in!!!!

Phil

#17 ·
Well at least I got to put in an appearance. Was off the water by 9:30, cold, wet and exhausted from staying up all night and with a seriously ill wife at home. Managed one small around the pileings at the end of Napatree and only marked a few fish in the rest of my wanderings. Spotted Striper as he zoomed by on his way to Weekapaug and shouted some words of encouragement to a group of crazy people standing in the water over at Napatree.
Ran up to the Canal this afternoon with the old Eeling stick and metal, turned out to be a complete waste of time. The fishing is way off from what it was just a few days ago. Was hpoing to get one more week in before putting up the boat for the Winter, but this mega storm thats brewing may put an end to that.
Slinger

#19 ·
Steve. Really sorry to hear that your wife is not well. It was much smarter to be in a boat than standing in the water with those crazy fly polers. "They must be nuts to walk all that way to fling those itty bitty little feathers in the rain!" LOL!!!
We missed you Slinger and were happy you didn't scare all those birds away when you came in with a report. We did have Albies out front for a bit.

Hey Steve. You going to put the waders on after you retire the boat for the winter? Sure could use some company down here before it's over!

Phil

#20 ·
First off congrats to Phil for pulling this one off!

Second, apologies to Mike M (Striper). Mike, I got your message on my cell phone midday Saturday - I live in a dead cell area (Newtown CT.) so missed calls from you, Basser and Phil :roll:

Third, the Sunday morning spot fished equally well on an outgoing tide :smokin: I spent a couple of hours there last night from 6:00 pm through 8:00 and scored better than the a.m. A couple of knuckle bruisers in the mix of schoolies and a couple of shad to add to the fun.

The wind had laid down somewhat so it was a bit more comfortable.

#21 ·
Phil,
Great job!! We will be back next fall, hopefully for a few more days. We've already decided to bring the boat and mix it up a bit next time. Basser thanks for putting the communications together. Sunday we gat up and decided to get breakfast and make the run home. It was too wet and raw to drive home dripping. Ian was pissed we left him home but he had to work Fiday evening anyway. He said we had better bring him next time. I was skunked for a change and Drew seriously out fished me- a real rarity lately- but he managed to put us all to shame Saturday.

Nice to meet some new guys and to fish with old friends. I hate to say this but see you all at he shows.

#22 ·
Phil –

Great effort setting up the Rhody Clave this year. It is quite the task getting everyone’s impute, constantly changing fishing locations, not to mention the logistics of food and entertainment. That includes lodging too.

There is plenty of work to do and hours spent setting up this clave. I was unable to attend this year but I watched with interest. The rewards helping run an event like this is the friends you have brought together and the memories.

Maybe we will see ya at the Icebreaker this year when fishing heads north.

From all of us who couldn’t attend…. Thanks for the memories through all your posts.

#24 ·
Adrian. So pleased you were able to make it back to "The Spot" to wet a line once more before heading back home. Proof again that it just gets better after sunset and on the out going no doubt. I've been wanting spend a little time with you on the water for quite some time now. Glad we had that chance.

Ray. Why wait for the Icebreaker? The best fishing starts this or next week when the Gannets and herring start to show. Sorry I didn't make the last one. It wasn't because of the weather. LOL!!!

Chris. Drew put on a pretty spectacular show with his line, leader, fly choice combination and the right strip. I'm willing to bet that if we all had that Brook's Blond on the end of our leaders it probably would'nt have mattered all that much.
It's the combination that spells success. It also helps to be standing where he was. Almost up to his armpits!!!!!! I's love to see an aerial photo of that spot on a sunny day.

Phil

#25 ·
Striper Mike

I didn't forget! With an anxious effort to give us reports on the boat fishing, Mike with his boat, kept us all informed on what was going on nearby along with Slinger. Thanks again Steve. Thanks Mike! I Hope all those fish you caught didn't force you to use up those meds for the shoulder! I'm very happy you found what you were looking for towards days end. Please keep up the reports! Great reading your threads my friend. Mark. Let me know when you are down this way again. Let's fish before it's over. I'll take you to 'The Spot' since you could'nt make it to the Clave.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.