Fly Fishing Forum banner

Berry Fly (Carp Swap Entry)

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
#1 ·
This is the first pattern I thought of when I signed up for this swap, but I wasn't sure if it was "swap worthy" because it is so simple to tie and uses minimal materials. I did ten of these (2 each) but also sent a batch of brown woolly buggers so you each get one of those as well :biggrin: . The woolly bugger has been very successful in the lakes, while the berry fly works well in the river. The berry will float until it gets waterlogged. I use fluoro leaders to help them sink. Never tried fishing one on top. Hmmm . . .

I alread posted the recipe here but here's an update:

Hook: # 8 Gamakatsu C14S Glo-Bug (short shank, heavy wire)
Thread: White or colored to match body
Body: Purple and orange Needloft Plastic Canvas Yarn (other materials and colors will work)

Crush the barb of the hook. Tie the thread on near the bend. Cut a few 3/4" to 1" pieces of yarn. I use 4 - 6 pieces of purple and 3 or 4 pieces of orange. Hold 2 or 3 yarn strips together at one end and comb out the yarn to separate the fibers. Switch ends and comb out the whole length. Tie the fibers onto the shank as if you were spinning deer hair. I make a couple turns of thread, then fold the fibers back and make a couple more turns, add a drop of cement and tie on the next bunch. Work from the hook bend forward, tying in one bunch of yarn at a time, then tie off and cement the thread. Trim the fibers to the desired shape, making them short enough on the bottom so they don't block the hook point and prevent hookups.

Fish it motionless on the bottom or drifting/sinking in a slow current (or on top? :confused: )

Q

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
natrix said:
Q

Where did you get the yarn.

Natrix
Ames Department Store, which is no longer in existence in my area. Not sure if they are totally out of business.

I'm sure other types of yarn or large chenille would work too.

Q

#5 ·
While on the subject of carp flies, I've had them take P&Os in moving water but I've never had the same success in stillwater. My only stillwater hookups have been when I've targeting smallies and ended up with a golden bone peeling line instead.

Once in a while, I'd be able to get back to where I fished as a kid. There's this small bay on the St. Lawrence that holds huge pods of carp. I'd use an 8 wt. to toss long a large bushy dry to one side of the pod. On each cast, one fish would detach itself from the pod, slowly cruise over, tilt up, inspect the fly, then circle back to the pod. I could usually get four or five fish to check out the fly until they lost interest altogether, but I could never get them to take. I've tried movement, no movement, nothing. They were interested though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.