Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hodgman Stretchlite

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Willie Gunn 
#1 ·
New for 2001 is the Hodgman Stretchlite breathable, reported to have 4-way stretch capabilities. Sure sounds good, I plan to hunt them out at the next fly show in my area.

Affordable breathables overall have been a disappointment to me, although the high-end (high-priced) Simms have served me well for a couple of seasons now. I suspect I will get at least another season out of them, maybe two. If I get four years I will consider them a heck of an investment. I also await the day that high-end wader competition drives costs down from $375 (stocking foot).

Curious if anyone's made the commitment to the new Hodgman stretch waders yet?

#2 ·
Hi
I do wish you Americans will stop descibing the price you pay for Simms waders as expensive.

What we pay is expensive, what you pay is cheap. We pay £360 (pounds Sterling ) about $510 (American Dollars) if you do not believe me or want a laugh look at www.sportfish.co.uk. It is as cheap for us to buy in the states and pay postage and import tax.

#5 ·
Hi Cousin
Thanks for the kind thoughts,at the backend I just bought a pair from Urban Angler, cheaper than Sportsfish but when I need anything else. I'll be in touch.

I'm fishing on Tulcan on the Spey on Saturday Neoprenes will be the order of the day the lack of waders are certainly not an option. I must quote from William Scrope from "Days and Nights of Salmon Fishing" 1843. He gives this advice on wading without waders "Avoid standing on rocking stones, for obvious reasons; and never go into water deeper than the fifth button on your waistcoat; even this does not always agree with tender constitutions in frosty weather. As you are are likely not to take a just estimate of the cold in the excitement of the sport, should you be of a delicate temperment, and be wading in the month of February, when it may freeze very hard, pull down your stockings and examine your legs. Should they be black, or even purple, it might perhaps, be as well to get on dry land; but if they are only rubicund you may continue to enjoy the water."

Those were the days when men were men and had no sense at all

#6 ·
That's absolutely a classic tip from Mr.Scrope, I shall heed it always! When wet wading, I shall be careful to elevate my tempraments high enough out of the water to make sure they are not purple... or worse <i><font color="0000ff">blue</font><!--color--></i>!

#7 ·
Willie

You mentioned Urban Angler - were you in Manhattan recently? I work in the city so if you're going to be in town anytime drop me an email. Have a great time at Tulcan!

#8 ·
Willie, Good advise and I agree,butI was talking about the summer. You can see from this site that our South Monomoy Rip Trips concluded that that was th way to go. I fact, when you visit the Cape someday and fish with us and make those long beach walks in deep sand you will do it bare foot with shorts. But February.. no real argument here.

#9 ·
John -

I sure miss those days when the only reason to cover up was to prevent over-exposure to UV rays out on the Monomoy Tip RIP! Barefeet, shorts, sunglasses, sunblock and screaming drags... will those days ever come again...

<!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2000/ripjournal.htm" target="_blank">barefootin'</a><!--url-->

#10 ·
Patagonia SST+'s for $260

Here's a site selling Patagonia SST+ waders for $260. This seems like a good opportunity to get a high end breathable wader for a better than usual price.

Here's the link:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base%5Fno=63117&str%5Fbase%5Fno=54210%2C60919%2C60963%2C60964%2C62997%2C63103%2C63106%2C63108%2C63112%2C63113%2C63117%2C63228%2C63229%2C63230%2C63247%2C63250%2C63280%2C63281%2C63282%2C63283%2C&header%5Ftitle=Keyword+Search&page%5Fname=search%2Fkeyword%5Fresults%2Easp&search%5Ftype=wader&size1=&size2=&gender=0&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&mscssid=B1FBUNKUN4S92GCP00J74TCGDKPB0P7F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.