Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pacifica

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Leland Miyawaki 
#1 ·
OK Leland & Juro - time to fess up ... what's the scoop on the Pacifica?!! I saw the thread on WAFlyfishers, and I'm sure there are more than a few interested folks!
-Oly

#2 ·
This is an ongoing project but currently shifted out by several other projects in queue - not because we aren't psyched up for it but because there is more going on right now in R&D than we can handle in the Spey front alone!

However we are in final production of a lightweight IM8 11ft'er that throws 9/10wt shooting heads to 115-125ft without much trouble for reaching cruising coho and fishing along kelp lines from shore. It's light enough to get a good battle from a resident coho but also tough enough not to have to break off a fall king just to save your flyline like a 6wt.

This is the Atlantis All-around, 11ft 3-pc 9/10wt two-hand IM8. It weighs just over 7 oz despite the overhead casting flora cork handle, Fuji hard chrome SiC strippers and titanium frame tip guide.

I will be sending some out to shops in the Seattle area in late August - early September with plenty of time to catch the migration. Just please use the big Atlantis for chum :lildevl:

So far my favorite setup has been an airflo 10wt 35ft shooting head on a slick shooter running line - this setup goes a l-o-n-g way but the rod is light and even smaller fish are good sport.

Additional saltwater two-handers are in the plan, of which one is more suited to cutthroats and resident coho in a 7/8 weight range. This is the one I assume you are referring to. It will not be completed until 2005 due to the number of irons we have in the fire currently.

Prototypes will be available earlier, Leland will be field testing ahead of final production.

Thanks for the inquiry.

#3 ·
Juro,
Thanks. Can't wait to check 'em out! Will be hard to choose. I think most of the year, the smaller version would serve us up well, but come fall with the migratory fish returning, the bigger stick sounds like ticket. choices, choices....
Keep us posted on the progress.
-Oly

#6 ·
Sirfishalot -

Yes, these rods are specifically made for overhead casting and are just 11ft long but with a handle that really puts the line into play. 115-125ft is a common distance with the lighter of the two models dubbed the "All-around" while the larger rod, the Surf-tamer has thrown well over 150ft in capable hands.

All-around 11ft 9/10wt WF (spey equiv. 6/7wt) just over 7oz
Surf-tamer 11ft 11/12wt WF (spey equiv 8/9wt) just over 8oz

Both IM8 exclusive aerospace graphite with premium components from a solid titanium frame on the SiC tip down to the hard chrome Fuji SiC strippers and Flora cork. Each rod has an accurate fish ruler on the blank for inspiration, the Surf-tamer boasts a 42" measure so think big.

You may be aware that tournament two-handed rods have thrown over 250 ft but they are hardly fishable, they weigh a ton and are as long as telephone poles. Atlantis rods provide a compromise between a distinct casting advantage and practical all-day fishability in their lightweight power.

They are made for overhead casting, but just as spey casting rods will overhead cast these rods do throw tight little spey casts with the right lines, I favor the Scandinavian lines and casting stroke with these 11ft IM8 rods because they are quite fast because of the overhead design. The Hardy Mach I and short spey lines are quite nice on these rods and I prefer this length and power for big strong fish like chinook and chum over the longer spey casting tools more fit for steelhead and atlantic salmon. So they double as a big salmon river rod with more ability to move and steer those buses.

Sean, our webmaster is frequently using the Surf-tamer on Puget Sound and can throw a laser loop for the distances we mention on the board. He is first on the list for the lighter model when the shipment arrives so you might hook up with him on the beach to have a test drive sometime.

The dealer list can be found at www.cndspey.com
CND is a proud forum sponsor

#7 ·
7/8 saltwater spey for sea trout

A saltwater spey for 7/8 - sounds good for our seatrout fishing in the Baltic Sea.
Saltwater fly fishing for seatrout (sea running browns) from Baltic Sea shores is very popular in Germany, Denmark and Sweden. Today you see very less fishermen with double handers here but with the threads about the Atlantis 1111 in mind a light line double hander should be perfect. The fish are usually between 2 and 6 lbs with few much more up to 20lbs. And it's often search fishing with a lot of casting. Although you can hook good fish just in front of your feet longer casts are not a disadvantage. We use mainly single handers from 6/7 to 8/9. A 6/7 is perfect for most of the fish if there wouldn't be always the fight against the wind. For lines I think swimming and slow intermediate shooting heads are the most popular. Although I never fished for cutthroats in the salt I think it is very similar to the fishing I talked about.
I'm more than interested to give a 7/8 saltwater spey a try for seatrout fishing in Europe. The best season starts in march. So, Juro, when do you think the 7/8 will be available in 2005?
Stefan

#8 ·
Thanks for your interest. I hope we can finish this project ASAP, although Nobuo-san will never release a rod before it's completely finished and tested throughly in the field.

FYI -

The 9/10wt is an AFTMA 9/10, thus a 6/7/8 spey in power. It offers quite a sporty battle with even moderate sized fish. I will have more info after the Denver Trade show

#9 ·
Saltwater Spey Casting for Coho on Puget Sound Tidal Currents

Is anyone out there speycasting saltwater shore tidal currents for cohos or cutthroats?
I just got started spey casting with lessons from David Steinbaugh of Waterswest Fly Shop in Port Angeles WA. He taught me on the Elwha River on the Olympic Peninsula. But since no rivers are close to my home, I've been practicing at Point-No-Point Lighthouse in Hansville WA on tidal currents.
I notice that if I wait for mid-tide levels when the currents are stronger, I can get a pretty effective Snake Roll Cast going for a 90 degree cast away from shore. And it's about the same effort as river spey casting.
I could use a normal cast here as well, but mostly I just want to practice these right angle spey casts with my 13 foot St Croix 7 WT rod and RIO system lines.
I'd like to chat with anyone who has had more experience with this than I.
Thanks.

#10 ·
I do limited spey casting in the salt but mainly to setup overhead casts on my two hand overhead rods.

As you PNP is a great place to fish for migrating coho and you are sure to have a blast come august.

There are a few of us out there waving long rods but only a handful. Mattzoid on this fourm is another guy who fishes two handers off the beach. I am sure he will chime in soon.

Welcome to the forum!

-sean

#11 ·
I'm of the opinion that speycasting from the beach is the most inefficient way to utilize a long rod on our beaches. I believe you must use a two-handed overhead cast with a short shooting head. The long rod will keep the line off our sloped beaches and you will be able to fish through all but the highest incoming tides. And best of all, the shooting head will only need one short backcast letting you clear the driftwood piles, trees and bluffs on our beaches.

I am working on such a setup now.

Leland

#12 ·
Leland -

Sounds interesting!

If I could offer one piece of advice, try the new Rio Outbound saltwater line. I've been testing it with phenomenal results in the bigger weights on the surf-tamer but it also comes in the light grain weights you use for finesse fishing in the sound for searun trout (and everything in between).

Greg and I could not get the setup out of Simon's hands on the beach last weekend. :lildevl:

#13 ·
Saltwater Spey Casting for Coho on Puget Sound Tidal Currents

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I'm arranging to have Troy Dettman of Northwest Angler Fly Shop hold a shore casting clinic on Bainbridge Island for KFA members sometime soon. Maybe we'll try some of these techniques. Keep the good stuff coming!
Ken Jones
KFA Prez

#14 ·
I bought the CND Atlantis 1109 for the Puget Sound beaches last fall for the Coho run and had Sparky build me a great shooting head system. I am still working to master the rods full capabilities but I am really excited for the beach action this fall.
Good fishing, Steve Rohrbach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.