Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any Good Shops near the White River

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  krauseb 
#1 ·
I am planning a trip to Arkansas. Are there any really good Fly Shops near by?

#2 ·
White River

I was down there a few years ago. Didn't use a guide.
I think the Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO, had a pretty decent information board. Perhaps you could contact them. They have an 800 # but, I don't remember the number.
I did stay at their Lodge on Smith Mountain Lake, which is just south of Branson, MO. We fished the lake (for bass) and drove about 1 hour down to the White River, in AR, for trout. There were lot's of bait fishermen there. I saw an add for a "Garstons White River Resort", I think they specialized in Flyfishing, since it said catch and release on the add, but I can't tell you if they were any good.
DK

#3 · (Edited)
There is Cane Island Fly Shop. They are located very close to Gastons ,on the White river , below the Bull Shoals Dam .
In Mountain Home , on the way to the North Fork river , there is Fulton's Blue Ribbon Fly Shop They are both good. Bring Olive Woolie Buggers 8-12 ,and Sow bugs gray, and sand colored 14-18 ,small split shot,and strike indicators. There are many other flies that are also effective.
These two patterns take a large percentage of the fish I catch down there every February.Gastons is a great place to stay, but they are not a flyfishing resort. 80-90 % of the guys down there fish hardware ,or bait.

#6 · (Edited)
You need to come pretty soon

It looks like you have gotten plenty of good information already. The better fly shops are Blue Ribbon and Cane Island. I haven't been by Gary's place at Rim in a while but they are on some good water. Most of the resorts are using winter rates now. The big plus is that the rivers are not nearly as crowed and the fishing is GREAT. Almost every trip I've guided lately people have caught some HUGE fish.

Last Sunday the lady I was guiding hooked a Brown that was around 35+lbs. I hooked one two weeks ago that must have been close to 50 lbs. Fish stories...I know...but if it means anything I caught one Thursday that tipped the scale a 9lb-12oz and it was only 26 inches. The fish are in really great shape with all the high water we have gotten this year. The 37 inch fish in my profile picture over there <<<<< would weigh better than 40 lbs right now.

John W. Wilson

#7 ·
krauseb said:
I'm working part time in a new full service fly shop on the White river. It's "The Fly Shop at Rim Shoals. 870-435-6144
Check out the web site www.rimshoals.com the fly shop is on the same property. After Thanksgiving we will be going to winter hours. Open Sat. & Sunday until 15 Feb.2003 The Fly Shop web site will be on line soon.
Bob.
It's OK to plug non-sponsors in this forum as long as you send an email (CC: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com) suggesting to the business that they become a sponsor - according to our policy.

One of the moderators or I will follow up with the shop. We are on a big drive to get our fly show funding together for the winter and we can use all the help we can get.

Let me know when you've approached them with this idea and I will follow up.

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.