Fly Fishing Forum banner

Changes at Winston

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jackster1 
#1 ·
Winston is discontinuing their LTX, DL-4, BL-5 and XTR lines. That's alotta rods! Look for them to go on sale soon.
If you fish with sinking lines(teenies and leadcore) the XTRs are cannons, and STRONG. Reminds me of the RPLX.
The BL-5's were funky, but had their following. Cast 'em first to be sure.
DL-4's are nice soft rods. Esp. in the lighter weights.
The LTX isn't a bad rod either. I liked the 9' #6.
That's odd, because I thought the recession was over two years ago......

#2 ·
Eddie-
I have cast a couple protypes that Winston is finishing up and I guarantee they will be able to give the XP a run for its money...

Secondly, like yourself, I found the 9' #6 LTX to be the sweetheart in the LTX lineup...the #6 had a crispness that the rest did not have as well as it was not as heavy in the hand.

And the XTR (5 piecers...never liked the 3 piecers) were and still are an underrated rod! I love the #8 5 piece!

...and like you said, the BL5's are funky but they do grow on you!

Some of these rods I will miss...some I wont. It does, however, look like Winston is no doubt headed in the right direction.

#4 ·
I think that Derek Brown is no longer afilliated with them. I heard they might drop a couple of them, but there are only three. Why not drop the whole line? Powerful rods to be sure, but they didn' t sell all that well.
Word is that a feww more BIG mergers are about to take place. I'll miss Charlton.

#5 ·
About 3 month's ago my girlfriend from the United States buy on Ebay a Winston XTR 9¨#8 - 3 pieces in mint condition. She pay 380 for the rod.This Rod replace my old Sage RPLX that I use to fish for bonefish and snook. I like the rod action and the casting performance, but know I'm a little worry about warranty issues since this rod its going to be out of the road and Winston only honor the warranty to the original owner. I send an email to the guy that sells the rod to my girlfriend to know about the warranty card and if he register with his name the rod, but I have no response. Few questions:

Do I have to worry about the warranty if I broke the rod?

What happen if I send the rod from Cancún, México to Winston headquarters?

What is your opinion about this rod?

Of course I'm not expecting to broke the rod but you never know...

Thank's and I hope that you understand my english.

#7 ·
Fire Sale on discontinued models...

Just stopped by the local fly shop this AM and Joe (the owner) and I had our usual chat. He was in the process of putting mark down prices on the rods. From the looks of things, the prices are dropped by about $200, average.

BobK:D

#9 ·
Well, looking at the new 2004 Winston catalog I see the XTR, WT, LT, DL4 and Ibis rods still in place as well as the Retro 'glass rods and the 8 and 10 weight BL5 rods. They've added an Ibis spey rod to the line and introduced the new Boron IIx rods made with second generation Boron and priced surprisingly low.
I note some changes but changes not as extreme as expected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.