Fly Fishing Forum banner

Greetings to all (and my random rodent!)

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  doogue 
#1 · (Edited)
I am a new member to these forums and I would just like to say a quick (actually, looking back this turned out quite long, but anyway…) hi to everyone. I am currently a rather fishing deprived angler, and figured I could supplement my tying and newfound rod building efforts by joining a forum to further avoid losing my sanity. I really miss fishing!
I suppose I should give a little background for you all as well. So, I am a sophomore is high school down in MA. I recently got a job tying saltwater flies (as of this past summer), and have loved every minute of it. I've been exposed to some incredible anglers, and have improved my tying skills exponentially. This has been a real highpoint for me. I am great friends with the man I work for; I even went down to the coast with him and caught an albie my first day! Whoa!
I enjoy fishing for Pike, Largemouth Bass, Rock Bass, Small mouth Bass, Pickerel, Brookies, Brown Trout, Carp, and even Sunfish, Chubs and Bluegill. I get to do some saltwater angling, but not nearly as often as freshwater fishing.
So, as of now I am fishing deprived and driving my family crazy (with exception to my father who falls into the same category as me.). I've tied more flies than I'll ever use this next season and simply need another outlet. I've looked through other fishing forums but have chosen this one due to its diversity and abundance of knowledgeable anglers. I look forward to learning as much as I can before this oncoming season and hope that maybe I too can help some other anglers at some point in the near future. I bid you all good night!
-Blake

Whoops, I almost forgot this! Here is a picture of a fly I made that was originally going to be a mouse, but ended up receiving the more general name 'Random Rodent,' as it doesn't look as mouse-like as I'd prefer. I couldn't quite figure what small mammal it represents (especially since I was lacking the correct colors...), but I believe that it looks like some small furry land dweller. Tell me what you all think! Thanks!

Edit: hmmm... That's not working. Try this link then: http://pics.montypics.com/bd12345678/2005-01-14/1105757495_stampede_014.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice fly Blake. Definitely a rodent. The color and longer body shape/thicker tail make it look like a baby muskrat. Bass and pike will hammer that fly :eek: .

Welcome to the forum!

Q

#5 ·
Blake,

You remind me of myself back when I was your age. And I have to say that while I was a fishing fanatic back then I did become a much, much better angler when I hooked up with this Forum roughly 5 years ago now.

And I like your rodent fly. I have visions of kicking around in my float tube and casting that fly to the steep banks of a local lake filled with bass. Bass will surely attack that bad boy.

Look for a sign up sheet for the "Monster Baitfish Fly Swap" that I will be meistering this winter. You should participate and tie up some monster herring flies (or whatever other pattern you choose) for the swap.

Welcome aboard!

Mike

#6 ·
My step-mother recently mentioned to my wife how I used to say "That looks like good fishing water" whenever we passed any little bit of water. :) Sounds like something you might say. Welcome!

#8 ·
Oh man, is that spun moose hair? I ran out of my moose body hair tying flies for my dad this past Christmas. I love the stuff. It gives such a nice mottled effect. On the one above I used elk hair. Also, the tail is tied on a seperate, clipped hook and held by a mono loop. It should have a ton of action in the water!

Thank you all for the responses, I appreciate them. Oh and teflon_jone, yes I've have been quoted fairly frequently for that exact phrase.
Doogue, I am actually getting a float tube off Ebay (NIB, of course). I plan to use it on the practically un-fished, weed-clogged bass and Pickerel ponds in my area. How have you liked tubing?

#9 ·
I'm going to get into float tubing for the first time too. I just won a tube, wading shoes, and waders off eBay. I lost the auction for the flippers though, so I'll have to keep bidding. My wife is going to be slightly upset when she finds out I'm 50% over budget on my purchases... :)

#10 · (Edited)
Who makes the tube you've won? Currently, I'm looking at a Caddis Navigator II. I think I'm going to get it with my next check. I'd used a tube from the man I worked for one week this past summer. Despite the fact it was rather old and decrepit (not to mention the nylon straps in the harness proved rather uncomfortable....), I enjoyed myself immensely. It's a blast be so close to the fish during a fight!

Good luck with the whole over-the-budget deal. Despite the fact I'm not married (I'm not even sure if it's really legal at my age anyway), I can honestly say I feel your pain. My step mom is hardly fond of fishing, although she did purchase my dads first fly rod; consequently she almost went into denial after relizing the magnitude of her mistake, six fish filled years later! So, at times I too have to abide by a strict code (although there are loop-holes!), especially after the dog ate a squirrel tail, and a good portion of two necks! So again, good luck!

#11 · (Edited)
The tube I bought is a no-name from what I can tell, but it was cheap and the features sounded good. I think it's one of those cases of a good quality product that's the exact same thing as a brand name (i.e. made in the same factory), but for whatever reason is sold as a no-name. Here's a link to see what it looks like:

float tube

This guy seems to sell random stuff so I'm betting he just got a really good deal on them somewhere and figured he could make money selling them on eBay. I wouldn't have bid on it except that he already has lots of positive feedback from selling 30+ of them, so I figured if that many people are happy with it, then they're probably pretty good. It has a 600 denier cover instead of the usual 420 on cheaper boats, and I found the same exact boat somewhere else for $150 but with a brand name sticker on it, so I think they're the same thing. It's only costing me $55 with shipping so I don't really care, I figure it's worth a chance! :)

#12 ·
Well,

I have to say that I enjoy the tube. I tend to reserve it for the summer when I can just hop in the tube with a bathing suit on and kick myself from log to log or rock to rock.

I fish from a kayak from time to time but the fact that you can turn with your feet is just too nice on a windy day. Even in a stiff wind I can face the target that I am trying to drop the fly on when I am in the tube.

Ebay is a great place to buy this stuff too. Have fun.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.