Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sight Fishing at Night

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Before the big storm, I went out to Race Point at P'town on Friday night around midnight. I was the only person out and prepared for another disappointing outing. To my surprise, the fishing was non-stop for three hours, all just shy of keeper length. There was "fire" in the water and after a while I noticed that about 30 feet offshore you could see turquoise flashes, just like a fish turning in bright sun. By casting to the flashes, I hooked a fish almost immediately. When it slowed a bit, I noticed that the flashes had moved about 50 yards to the right. I just followed them and kept catching. I have never seen this before. I think it may have been the best outing of the season.

The water was still very warm at 62. I think the migration is still coming. My friends said there were just a few schoolies around during the last week. These fish were new arrivals. They kept hitting a peanut bunker imitation. When I switched to a sand eel out of curiosity, it was much less appealing so I went back to the peanut.

I think you will find a lot of fish coming down the coast.:) :)

tight lines! Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.