Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dagger?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Morania 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Hope you're all having a productive weekend... on the water. I was just down at a local sporting goods place and saw kayaks on sale. Spoke with a salesman who kayaks locally, and am interested in an 11.5' Dagger. Basically, I want something that will enable me to access lakes, slow-moving rivers, and the ocean (flats). This one has a drop-down keel, ample storage space, 285-lb. weight capacity (I weigh around 205), and weighs in at around 50-lbs. I'm new to kayaking, and simply want something I can use as a short-term solution to getting out on the water until I can afford an actual flats boat... like maybe in 5 years. This yak runs around $550, then 10% off of that. Any suggestions... looking at purchasing sometime before the end of Summer.

#2 ·
Seems like a pretty good fit. Sit on top or Sit inside?

FWIW...I paddle a OK Frenzy yak. Priced less than four hundred dollars most places. I take it in the surf, on the flats, in ponds, lakes, pretty much everywhere. It is a sit on top, but since you're in FL, you may be interested in that. It is MUCH easier to get in and out of on the flats than the SINK yaks.

Its only downfall really is its 9 ft length and big beam. Makes it kinda slow for real long paddles. I've taken it probably 8-10 miles in a trip though, so its not impossible to move. These to attributes do make it highly stable and manuverable though. Man is it fun in a good surf in the summer!!

Nick

#3 ·
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your info. The model I'm looking at is their Blackwater 11.5', which has a cockpit-style seating arrangement. While I try to get to the ocean as much as possible, the majority of the fishing I do from this yak will be on local lakes and slow rivers. Having to get in and out won't be too much of a concern in most of those cases. Also, when I fish the flats, I tend to stay nearer the drop-offs looking for jacks, and therefore don't spend much time actually wading. I have a feeling that a good yak will suit my purposes nicely.

#5 ·
I've heard Dick's stores sell the original version of the Pungo for abt $400. The seat is apparently not the Phase 3 seat which is a shame but it sounds cheap and it's a good boat for it's type. I am a big fan of SOT's. It's not so much getting in and out when you want to, it's getting in when you have to.

#6 ·
Pungo's abound in SW Yak fishing in the North east, probably a great pick for you're area as well. But the best thing to do is just what you're planning...take it for a paddle. Let us know what you decide though, I've seen those Dagger's and I'm curious as to how they perform.

Nick

#7 ·
Go Pungo

The Pungo is pound for pound the best "all condition" rec boat I know of. I'm a paddling guide in NC and get to test alot of boats. The 12 is a dream but if you can drop some more money down, the 140 going to be faster and straighter and it's made of high density plastic so it wheighs only as much as the 120. It also has a buldhead and hatch for waterproof stowage and flotation if a big tarpon rolls you over.
Either, or. You won't be sorry.

My mother, 63, has two 120 XL's and paddles regularly by herself in them. Deep rivers with some chop.

#8 ·
Morania - Thanks for the input. Coincidentally, I've been thinking about it, and will probably go with the Pungo 140; seems smarter to drop the extra few dollars now rather than do it later. I visit my parents in the Myrtle Beach area several times a year (went to college there) and plan to do most of my kayaking along the Grand Strand... the 140 seems to be the way to go.

#9 ·
Good move

I can't say enough good about this boat. It's the only one I recommend by name to clients and students.
Happy paddling. Watch yer backcast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.