Fly Fishing Forum banner

More DIY bonefishing in Saint Martin

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  webstain 
#1 ·
Hi,

Here is more information on were to bonefish if you are coming down to Saint Martin/Sint Maarten:

Lot of shrimp grass, sand bars, easily accessible.

When : Downtide after the 3rd hour same for the rising tide (after the 3rd hour)

Flies : Mostly clousers based on Tan or Green or Fluo Yellow/White. Blue Crabs work great too. Weed guards recommended.

Fishes : expect 5 to 10lb. bones in group from 5 to 10 fish.

Season : Year Round

Equipment : 8 to 10wt outfit depending on the wind force. Floating WF

Cheers to you all

Jean Marc:)

See less See more
#3 ·
Jean Marc

Thanks for this great information. This board is becoming an incredibly valuable source of information for folks travelling to less well known tropical locations.

And yes, like Juro says, it's been a loooooooong winter - we need to see some pics to warm us up :smokin:

#4 ·
Tropical pictures...for those in need....

Okay..Okay...Okay! Take it easy guys. :Eyecrazy: I will be fishing there tomorrow, so you will have a few pictures describing the area and stuff. For those in need of a detailed map, I will make available a scanned marine map of St Martin with all flyfishing related information.

12 years on the islands and I tend to forget what is a long winter fustration.:smokin:

Till tomorrow...

Tight lines

Jean Marc

#8 ·
What a surprise...

Well, I never thought so many people from the states knew st Martin or honeymooned here...:whoa:

For those planning to return to our island, and as I mentioned earlier, I will post a map with all important fishing information soon (I try to have it ready befor this week end), and anyway I am going in the lagoon this pm, so you guys will have a few pictures.

In the meantime, cheers to you all:)

Jean Marc

#9 ·
all this talk about St. Martin has me reminiscing.
so I looked up "Dawn Beach Hotel" where the wife & I honeymooned.
Looks like it was destroyed in a 1995 hurricane .....:eek:
oh well.... still have the photos! :rolleyes:

but I bet the bonefish are still there.
BTW: Is Orient Beach still clothing optional? :whoa:
and when are the super models in town?

#11 ·
Pictures....for you northern fustrated friends

:) Here are the pictures from Nettle Bay in the French Side of the simpson bay Lagoon. Result of this pm fishing : 1 Stupidly missed (forgot to tighten the reel drag:eek: ), 1 Hook Pulled because of nervousness caused by the above mentioned stupidity, and 1 brake on a freight train size bone, on the second run (tried to give an extra pressure on the drag and the big guy didn't like it at all):D

Somedays you are just goof and that's it!

Weather : Overcast and windy and the light reflection on the clouds didn't help, but since the tide was going down I located them by the tail swirls over the grass beds. I enjoyed it anyway.

For the Virgin Islands fellow : So Far, for the last 2 years we were only 2 guys really fishing the bones, so they are not so picky and they will approach you scarely close (6ft) untill you move an eyebrow and they do their magic disappearing trick will all know.

Cheers to you all

Jean Marc

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.