Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rod Recommendations

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
Fast Action or Fast Tip:

Asking for general input, most favorable status amongst all the Gearheads.

Thank You.

#2 ·
Every one has a different definition of what "fast" is. Powell Tiburon, T&T Horizon, Sage XP and TCR, and the origional fast rod....the Loomis GLX (not so fast any more). These are my favorite fast rods (not in that order). Cast 'em all, decide for yourself, and tell us what you like.
The new Winston and Sage(rplxi2) are supposed to be sweet too.

#3 ·
DFix,

I suspect you are asking whether we prefer a tip action rod or a fast, progressive rod. Notice each of the rods that Eddie mentioned are fast, progressive rods, which is exactly what I like and look for in a rod. A good fast-action rod should load progressively further down the blank as the load on it increases during casting. I.e. a long cast should have the rod bending further down the blank whether fast, medium, or slow actioned.

Some of the worst casting rods are those that load only the tip and top 1/3rd of the rod when casting, regardless of distance.

#4 ·
Personal pref of course, and talking single handers here - I like a progressive action rod that takes a real load into the blank without ever feeling soft, made of a high-modulus graphite that recoils like all heck allowing for great line speed from the rod, not the arm. A good rod will throw the whole flyline without making your arm pay for it. The discontinued Sage RPL and RPLXi were of that school.

I dislike stiff single-handed rods that feel like they resist flexing and put a lot of pressure on the joints although they do throw some line. Not worth it IMHO, I like to let the rod do the work for me. Afterall it's the rod that generates line speed not the arm, the arm just moves the rod. A lot of guys like stiff flyrods, I really don't like them at all.

I also dislike soft rods unless working a brookie stream. No guts when you want to really load it up, but sweet for finesse on a stream and a pleasure to fight trout on.

.02, and good luck with your decision.

#5 ·
Okay, thanks to begin with, but let me explain a bit more:

This is a "homework" assignment I gave myself to help a friend who, when he makes a Thanksgiving trip to the U.S. mainland from his duty station, will be able to use to help decide what to potentially buy while here. There isn't a lot of stock information/availability where this guy is located.

So, for anyone here who has an opinion or a preferred manufacturer/action, I'd appreciate a re-weighing of the question. Thanks.

#6 ·
Dave,
I don't have the experience to advise you but I'll offer the following from a post I made when rod shopping a couple of years ago. I like the feedback with the so called "fast progressive" rods. I ended up getting the DFR, which I think you tried this summer, which I have been very pleased with. I think the action is very much like the Horizon. Very nice casting and very capable fighting fish. I have since aquired a 9 wgt T&T Vector which from my limited experience define progressive action. Super refined casting, while fish fighting might be a bit more of an adventure. At the other end of fast rods the Diamondback Stu Apte seems to define fast and stiff. The emphasis hear is obviously fish fighting capability, not casting pleasure. Another rod I really liked thats super reasonably priced is the 2 pc. Diamondback Backwater. The 3 piece Backwater didn't do it for me. Oh ya, here's what I posted.

Personal Criteria:
1. Of the tactile pleasures in flyfishing the rare occasions when I find my casting stroke is key. Kind of akin to finding your stroke with a jump shot in basketball or with a cue in pool. I want a rod that enhances that pleasure.

2. I have felt undergunned when fishing in big water and when trying to turn the larger "schoolies" I've been catchin this year. Would like something with more backbone.

At my present skill level these two criteria seem to be contrary. Of the rods I test cast, one stood out and a second impressed, especially considering price. But these are first impressions. It would be nice to spend some time on the water.

The rods:
I liked the RPLXi 10 wt but it seemed a bit big in terms of weight and feel. Guess I'm looking for something that feels more like a nine wt.

The 10 wt DFR was an instant hit with me. Very tactile. I guess the action is what you call progressive. Also lighter than most nine wts.

The nine wt Stu Apte Diamondback is a real stick. Beautiful finish. I tried it with a ten wt. line. I'm not ready for this one.
Very fast - not very tactile for the neophyte.

St Croiux Ultra Legend 10 wt. did little to stand out for me. Its ok.

The Sage DS2 10 weight I could live with, very tactile, but it probably does not offer much more in backbone than what I have now.

The Diamondback Backwater 9 wt. Based on the breakage problems I'd heard about, I wasn't thinking about this rod. Scott didn't feel this was an issue based on his experience and the number of returns. This rod seems to fit me like a glove. If I'd stayed off the butts I would have enough in my fishing fund for the DFR, but I think I can be happy with the Backwater

#7 ·
Replaced my beloved RPL+ 996-4 (after accidentally drowning it on the WA albacore grounds) with its successor, the XP 910-4. First time out fishing chums last fall, the butt section snapped mid-shaft while fighting the fouth or fifth fish of the trip.

Got it repaired shortly thereafter, and subsequently took it to Alaska for kings and sockeye. A little dissappointed that this rod is much "softer" and lacks the backbone of the RPL+ when fighting a big fish.

Took it out for chums today and the butt section snapped at the ferrule, right at the point where the second section seats over the butt section. SHOCK! I only fish 12# tippet, and it wasn't a very big fish... I had already landed dozens of chums, most of which were much bigger than the one that caused the rod to snap.

Thank goodness I brought an extra gear rod... Lamiglas medium steelhead rod to the rescue!

Anyone else out there have problems with eXPloding XP's?

#8 ·
Interesting that you noticed a similarity in actions between Redington and T&T rods. I have also noticed this. Its a casting stroke suits me nicely.

I believe that Jim Murphy founded Redington soon after leaving his job at T&T. I wonder if this has something to do with it?

#10 ·
Exploding XP

Two scenarios come to mind:
1. Loose female ferrule. Load the rod and there is a good chance the male ferrule will break. Solution is to coat the male ferrule with paraffin for a secure fit. Periodically check to insure male/female ferrule is tight.
2. Nick/fracture on the blank. Hoop strength is compromised anytime a nick or fracture occurs on the blank. The result is a break. Aside from closing a door on the rod, the most common cause is hitting it with a lead-headed fly (clouser). Solution is open up the casting stroke.

I have been quilty of both offenses.

As an aside, the XP does not have the butt strength designed into the RPLXi for lifting.

Simms

#12 ·
Just some thoughs

Cast any rod you are planning to buy first.
I would go with a Powell Tiboron II. Especially nowadays that they sell wholesale directly.
After that, I would go with the Loomis GLX, Sage XP and Xi, Scott S3, Redington NTi (up to 7wt) then Redington Quartz.
If you like to build yours, I would use a Dan Craft signature V (61 millions modulus carbon). These are lighter than a GLX or an XP and way faster. If this is a tough rod you are looking and not affraid to buy abroad, I would go with an extra fast Composite development (NZ) GHR 3 pieces rod (for rods from 8 to 14 wt). Or a downunder blank for lighter rods.

Also there is a new rod that is promising but expensive. The ADG Titan.

Again cast one before you buy.
Serge

#13 ·
Dave, Both Dave Pearson and I find that a great "progressive action" fast rod is the Winston BL-5.. some say it is soft..but this is not the case... Great for your arms and a great flats rod... compared to the Winston XTR which is close to a fast tip... then you have the T&T Horizon which is fast but more progressive into the butt... then a the Sage RPLXi which is like the T&T but softer in the butt and still fast. Hope that makes sence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.