Fly Fishing Forum banner

Getting any?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mylo 
#1 ·
Trout, silly!

Haven't heard much despite the northern hemisphere entering the prime of trout season... and being fall in the southern hemisphere I would have expected some reports?

Fill me in...

Juro

#2 ·
Deerfield was high and murky yesterday. Not a soul on the water except one fool
No luck with streamers on either C&R section. Water was 35, and i figure the cold + high water had trout hunkering on the bottom.

On the good(??) side, the bucket (bait) brigades are out in force on Falmouth ponds.

#4 ·
Josko - I hear the water flow regulation on the Deerfield has kept the water levels unpredictable during recent years. Folks are getting annoyed by driving out to find flows unfishable. Any idea what the rationale is for these gatekeepers actions? (perhaps this would be an interesting question to ask *them*)

Maybe a few of us could hook up for a western MA jaunt one of these fine spring days! All I need is an excuse.

#5 ·
talked to Jack Smola about the 'unstable river'. Since power deregulation, the Deerfield power company is selling power on the spot market, which is much more lucrative to them than the long-term contracts. Hydro is ideal for immediate deliveries of larish amounts. So if the guy happens to sell a few megawatts, the river rises; they hoard water the rest of the time. Hence the river has become 'unstable'

#6 ·
Well I finally got out and wet a line today. Of course it was cold and raw with a fresh East, Northeast breeze, but I just had to try out the new DFR904 and new AS3/4 reel.
Found myself at a little pond somewhere off of RT2 and managed to land a bunch of freshly stocked rainbows, along with one fat holdover bow, all fish where caught on a
beadheaded black wollybugger. Not much of a tug on the other end of the line, but I guess it'll have to do for a couple more weeks.

#7 ·
You betcha...
Out here in God's country, the Bow has been getting better every day the sun shines and gets our daytime temp uo to the 45 degrees (+10 to us metrics). Caught several nice rainbows and browwns a few weekend ago. Several small ones in the 14 inch range and 3 good fish in the 16 to 18 inch range and one over 22 inches. Most of our fishing is with nymph this time of year and the occasional streamer works as well. Looks like our spring run off will be very slow, as it was last year, so we are looking goood !.
Hope some of you folks can make it out here and also hope to get to your part of the Country
Calgary based pete

#8 ·
We took a Monday off work on the 6th of March. Three men in a boat. Off to Lough Ennell in the midlands of Ireland. The lake is Legendary. A typical fish is 3lbs. And we are talking pure untainted wild fish. No stocking, no nice over wintereds just <i>les sauvages</i>.
Now we fished the rather uncomfortable conditions for the whole day (9-5). It was quite windy and the boat was the worst drifter ever put on water. The durn thing pirrueted all around the place... fly lines crossed and more than one heart was set racing by a savage take which was a fellow lifting his line off the water. The little 4 horse on the back did not help when motoring to better spots either.
Anyway we fished shrimps, scuds for the Yankies, and I let the side down, as did boat man and driver, Brian. But Stevo quite outdid himself and boated a fine 3lb 4oz brown trout. Brian took a smidgen of the glory as he tied the fly. I netted the fish so at least I was involved.
A friend in Lough Corrib (the West) set off the Season with 17 fish, and followed it up this week with 10. He was fishing the duckfly the second time, which is just starting now... (duckfly is a green buzzer for the Brits and a chironomid for the latins, les Yanquies tradeurs probably call them something else). All his fish were over 13 inches. I intend to break my duck before the end of the month and 13in and 3lbs need not be worried, I'll settle for a six incher on a size 18 dry if that's all's on offer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.