Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salty guy goes fresh...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
I can't resist any longer. I've bought my license. I'm going to the nearest stocked freshwater stream (the Ipswitch in Danvers) this evening with a five weight. I'm going to go out and get some flies at lunch. Any suggestions? I'm like a fish out of water in a stream!

Nick

#3 ·
Nick- You can't really go wrong with some small nymphs (pheasant tail, gold ribbed hare's ear, prince), and there's always the wooly bugger. Bead heads are probably a good idea this time of the year when the water is probably still on the high side.

Don't get too caught up in patterns.....your first time, remember that presentation is important in both salt and fresh water. Also, just like salt water fish will tend to orient themselves to current, so will the trout. Concentrate on current seams, obstructions that create a break in the current such as rocks and logs, and any pockets.

Good luck. Maybe you'll get obsessed with the sweet water too.

:)

#5 ·
thanks guys for the help.

So far:
1. I picked up some bead heads, and some pheasant tails at lunch, some buggers, and some dry flies. Not bad guessing as I read Dble Haul's reply.

2. I hope that my years of watching ESPN on Saturday mornings pays off...I think I have an idea as to what to do.

3. Its really not about the fish catching, its more about the "its a nice day and I'd rather be fishing."

4. Flies are for fishing and not eating, thanks Stri!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Nick

#6 ·
Beautiful evening Friday, but no fish on my line. Thought I saw a swirl or two as there were tons of mosquitos or gnats or something around. Had a lot of fun though, thanks for the help again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.