Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hook Up Musky Flys

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  h2o 
#1 · (Edited)
Hook Up Perch

Found a pattern on the Striper Archive . Charlie calls his pattern the "Hook Up Shad".

Hook: Owner 5138-141, 2/0 Bait hook
Body: Braided mylar, yellow with five or six turns of medium lead wire wraped on the hook at the bend.
Wing: Flashabou, yellow bucktail, black bucktail, green bucktail, and peacock herl.
Eyes: Stick on
Head: Yellow flat waxed nylon, finished with Loon Hard Head.

The lead wire helps the fly track upright, otherwise I found durring the swim trial that the fly swims on its side. The fly is nearly weed proof and fairly light so you can cast it with a 7 or 8 wt. Overall length is 4 inches.

Natrix

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking Good!

I'll bet the pikers will like this one as well. What is the overall length of the fly?
Also, can you post a pic of the Owner hook(s) undressed :chuckle: since I don't get those up here and it may be a better hook for other patterns that I tie.

#9 ·
I just tied up some "bent back" Pike/Muskie flies yesterday. On a 2/0 saltwater hook when I dunk tested them, the hook road up like it should with no weight added.
I did mine flash tail style about 5 " long. Also did some sz. 2 for Walleys in the weeds.

Question How do you guys get those "stick on" eyes to........stick, on the bucktail collar rather than thread head neatly ? I still paint mine because I have not had good luck with the stick ons.

#12 ·
How do you guys get those "stick on" eyes to........stick

h2o

Stick the eyes on and then coat the front 1/2 of the eye and the head in front of the eye with Loon Hard Head, 5 min., epoxy or some other high build adhesive. (Ill post a close up of the head later) I think that less is better with this stuff, because the more you put on the heavier the fly gets. I have never used Goop in fly tying, well that’s not actually true because I heard that Flexseal was nothing but thinned out Goop or Shoe Goo.

With respect to the swim test. I rigged up about a ½ dozen of these fly’s with wire leaders and took them out and cast them in the lake (thinking maybe there would be a super early really hungry Tiger lurking nearby) the fly’s did sit in the water upright, but once I started to strip them back they would ride on their side, so I the next batch had a little lead wire wrapped on the hook under the body, now they swim great.

Natrix

#13 ·
Getting the eye to stick

The eye has an adhesive backing, but thats not enough to make it stick through repeated casting, wetting and hopefully a fish or two.

I apply the eye then coat about 1/2 to 1/3 of the front of the eye and the finished head with either epoxy or Loon Hard Head. I try not to use to much because it adds un needed weight to the fly.

In this image you can see the edge of the Hard Head at just about the front edge of the pupil of the eye.

Natrix

Attachments

#14 ·
Hey thanks for the eye tips. Does that Loon Hard Head still turn milky color in the water. I used it about 5 years ago to finish some Steelhead flies and it did.

Hook up - Are you refering to the flys you tied on those hooks or regular bent backs ? My point about the bent backs was, unless you have another special reason for wanting to use those hooks besides the "hook up factor", you can save the trouble finding them and just tie a bent back on a regular 911s or 1x long saltwater hook.

Rides point up, mostly weedless,old time pattern ................no weight needed.

The other hook, beside a regular old bent back, many salt, & warm freshwater guys are switching to is the Eagle Claw 413 / 60 deg. Jig Hook for their weedless, hook up, flytying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.