Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winslow Homer

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dewey 
#1 ·
Evenin gang,
Just watched a short piece on Oregon Public Broadcasting, part of the News Hour. There is a show at the Amin Carter Meusem in Fort Worth featuring Winslow Homer's Flyfishing Paintings from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Homer, one of the greatest American painters that ever lived, was a devoted flyfisherman. Has, I wonder, any of our members from the great southwest been to see this show? If so, give us a review!
Deerhawk

#3 ·
The Addison Gallery of American Art has some Winslow Homers in their permanent collection. The gallery is on the campus of Phillips Academy, in Andover, Mass. They have some good f-fing paintings (or one that I really like and remember-I have the poster in my living room) and some typical impressive-power-of-the-sea paintings.
Definitely worth the visit if you are up on the North Shore.
They also have some Frank Stella, Jackson Pollock, and other good stuff.

#4 ·
prints/posters?

Dewey - where did you get your print/poster? I'm looking to put up something nice in my office (home, not the dungeon...). I intend on getting it matted/framed before hanging.

I'll have to get up to the phillips acadamy someday...

Juro - I believe the MFH in town has a few of his paintings. I don't remember the content though - kids in a flower field or something...

#5 ·
As an ex-museum guy, I think Homer and Eakins are the two giants of American painting, and both did sporting scenes. Short of going to Texas, you might want to hit Amazon or the Boston MFA online store and look for a copy of "Fishing in the North Woods," by David Tatham. Published in 1995 by the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston; ISBN number 0-7383-0016-8. The book is illustrated with thirty or more plates of Homer's paintings and watercolors--and as a watercolorist, he has no equal. All the plates depict fish, fishing, hunting, canoeing, and the Adirondack landscape. On my May birding expeditions to Mount Auburn cemetery, I make it a point every year to wander by old Winslow's grave and say thanks.

#6 ·
Homer

Juro and all,
Sorry for the late come back on this, but field research takes up alot of my time, not to mention that "W" thing! The Amon Carter Museum has a web www.cartermuseum.org that is featuring the Homer show, paintings and all. I have not visited, but they might have prints for sale.
With temps in the 90's this weekend here, I'm headed back to the mountains for more research on Fri eve, back late Sunday!
Deerhawk, AKA,T.B.D.

#7 ·
sprocket - I got my poster at the Addison gallery. It commemorates an exhibit, long since concluded, I presume, of American sporting artwork. It's a great scene of an old-timer casting into rushing, boulder-strewn pocket water. They might have a few left, but I got it a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.