Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyfishing's loss - Percy Gilbert

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
You may have heard that Percy Gilbert passed away last Wednesday night. You might know him from the Orvis store formerly in Hanover, MA; and more recently from the Rod Builder's Workshop in Kingston working with Smitty as a personable and knowledgable expert who gave free fly casting lessons every Saturday. I can't even imagine the number of people Percy helped in the sport of flyfishing over the years. The regional flyfishing scene has lost a true expert and a real gentleman in Percy.

Saint John's Church in Duxbury will hold a memorial service for him Wednesday, 9-26-01 @ 2pm.

#2 ·
I knew Percy from the Boston Orvis store 20 years ago and Bought my first hi-tech rod from him.. an Orvis " Far and Fine" 5 weight. Great guy and I used to drop in at lunch time to shoot the breeze with him about fishing... Comes from a family of great Golfers.. his father was a former Mass Am. Champion.

#3 ·
Met Percy earlier this year for the 1st time when I went to Smitty's to pick up one of his famous crab patterns & the material to duplicate it. Not only did he take the time to explain how to tie it, he helped me pick out the materials, and instructed me on how and where to fish it.

Truly a gentleman who, no doubt, will be missed by many.

#4 ·
It's 2pm, Wed 9-26 and my thoughts and prayers are with Percy's family and freinds although I am unable to make the service in Duxbury. Although he is now with God, a his spirit lives in the many he has influenced who still cast their line within the physical world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.