Fly Fishing Forum banner

Enrico spawning shrimp pattern-help

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have been trying to tie flies similar to Enrico's spawning shrimp. Does anyone know what he uses for wing material.? I have tried wool with some success, but suspect tht he uses some synthetic.

Does anyhone havae anyother spawning shrimp patterns?

Thanks

#2 ·
Yes -

The Peterson spawning shrimp is a KILLER. It's probably most photographed in the Orvis catalogs and available from our sponsor tightlinesflyfishing.com

Drew ties them awesomely, can't believe how the fish react to them. It's a goto pattern for big bones in my box.

#5 ·
Josko -

I have a variation but the best model I could point you to is the one that Andrew Moy ties over at Tightlines Flyshop, our sponsor in Pinebrook New Jersey.

tightlinesflyfishing.com

If you can't get hold of him let me know and I will prepare a recipe for the archive.

#9 ·
Tarpon will eat it up for sure. A real show stopper for cruising bones and my top choice for targeting double digit bones in shallow water, although the weighted clouser makes sense where a bit deeper.

I had one left in Acklins recently when I walked several miles of flats looking for d/d bones. As I approached the green tin roof B&B I spotted two 10-12# bones near the third mangrove outcropping visible from the road, coming from the Harry Creek side.

I tied my last virgin Peterson's on and made a cast, perhaps a bit over cautious as it was not seen by these behemoths patrolling the shadows of the magrove stand.

To make a better presentation I stripped the fly hurriedly back before my chance expired and cuda shot out from beneath the shadows and made quick work of my leader and last petersons.

I never saw the two big bones again and walked back to join the gang. Great fly, had fish turn after being spooked to pick it up.

I think we generally fish too small for bones and this is a nice big "eat me" pattern.

#11 ·
Peterson Shrimp

Just returned from South Andros with Drew and his gang and the Peterson was by far the go to fly.The Orvis fly is shown with tan rabbit and a short hook,if you really want to see it work tie it on a tiemco 9394 and use Artic Fox or Finnish Racoon in atan or butterscotch and its a absolute killer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.