Fly Fishing Forum banner

Eleuthera Report 2/10 to 2/17

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a week at Eleuthera in the N. Palmetto/Governor's Harbour area. The weather was cold and quite windy the first several days. I actually wore my fleece out to dinner one night and that's a first. I think the cold front kept a number of fish in the deeper waters early on. Days 3 and 4 were much better and I got into a good number of fish on the ocean side. Right off my beach front rental house I caught 3-5 pound bones, mutton snapper, jacks, palometa, baracuda, and even a pilchard on a shredded, thin clouser.

The flats fishing seemed thin so I focused on the ocean side and caught most of the fish on size 4 & 6 chartruese/white or tan/white clousers. My limited experience suggests that just about any fly works on the ocean side rather than the flats where fish are much more selective.

Ethics/Technical Question: My question is regarding tippets/leader test. I lost many bones both sight casting and blind casting using a 10-12lb leader with 10lb tippet. That got frustrating so I checked my gear bag and had some 16lb and 20lb flourcarbon leaders for baby tarpon. I switched to a 16lb tippet and didn't lose a fish after that.

I usually broke off as the fish was taking it's first run and I was trying to clear the line through the guides and get it on the reel. Am I just going to need to get a lighter touch as I clear the line or am I OK moving up to a stronger leader/tippet?

Thanks,

Marty

See less See more
#2 ·
Marty, sounds like a good trip!

I think the answer to your questions are yes, and yes (most of the time)

I prefer to use at least 12lb test for bones, unless I am fishing somewhere and the bones are extremely skittish from angling pressure (sand flats at savannah sound) I often use 16-20lb test. In los roques we used tippet this heavy, and the bones did not mind.

Just jumping from 10 to 12 will give you a quite a bit more leeway if your "touch" is a little heavy on that first run. Going up to 16 and you should not break any off, unless they are monsters!

I've caught many on 10, but the margin for error gets a lot lower.

#3 ·
Leader/tippet test

thanks Vince.

I thought I've read that the tippet should be light enough to be able to break off the fish on purpose in case a visible baracuda or shark give chase to a hooked fish.

Anyway I'm glad to learn that I haven't crossed over a line by upping to 16lb test.

Marty

#4 ·
if using heavy tippet (or light tippet for that matter) and a shark or 'cuda chases your bonefish, lighten up your drag so the fish can really run. Just light enough so it will not backlash. They will usually lose the predator. Then you can bring them in quickly for the release.

I suppose breaking them off would be ok too, as they will not get as tired out from actually landing them, giving them better odds to outrun the predator when they are off your line.

However with the heavy line you should be able to land them quickly, especially the average Bahamian bone of 2-3 lbs.

#5 ·
if using heavy tippet (or light tippet for that matter) and a shark or 'cuda chases your bonefish, lighten up your drag so the fish can really run. Just light enough so it will not backlash. They will usually lose the predator. Then you can bring them in quickly for the release.

I suppose breaking them off would be ok too, as they will not get as tired out from actually landing them, giving them better odds to outrun the predator when they are off your line.

However with the heavy line you should be able to land them quickly, especially the average Bahamian bone of 2-3 lbs.

I have not seen a shark in Los Roques in two visits there, and have never had a problem with the 'cudas either, though there are some there.

#6 ·
Marty

Thanks for the report. Trying to work out a trip to the island next month and your account gives me even more incentive to make it happen.

Like you, I think I was losing too many fish (especially the larger ones I would have really liked to get to see up close) when they took off on that initial run. I was using "store bought" tapered bonefish leaders with 10 and 12 lb. tippet. To try to remedy the break-offs, I tried tyng up some of the bonefish leaders recommended by Capt. Bruce Chard. He uses Rio Saltwater Hard Mono for the main leader stepping down from 30 lb. to 12 lb. and then Seagar Grand Max flourocarbon in 16 lb. for the tippet. I have broken off a couple of fish with this leader but nothing like before. It also casts well. I'm sure you can find the video instructions with a web search if you're interested. I still may resort to 10 lb. flouro at Savannah Sound or in the Harbour on occsion, but don't know that I get any more takes that can be attributed to the lighter tippet.

John Pool

#7 ·
I don't fish with tippets over 10 pounds. I usually fish 8 pounds in fact, and landed a 9.5 lb bone on that light a tippet last year. It's all about the touch you have with the fish and realizing when you can put more pressure on the fish and when you can't. The most frequent time you break a tippet is when you're trying to land the fish and there's not much line to stretch if the fish makes a lunge or they start to shake around, which means you just need to pay special attention when you land them.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for starting this thread.

It reminded me that the BEST tippet I've found in years is about to be discontinued by Orvis, the Mirage Maxknot in the small spools (they actually sell a different line on larger spools with the same brand name - beware).

It is currently on sale for half-price on Orvis dot com. Again it is the small Mirage / Maxknot spool *only*. I just bought 6 spools.

I use the 0x for stripers and bonefish with no issues whatsover, and the 1x for more delicate situations (rarely). It's rated 15# but clearly it's not what we'd consider 15# (e.g. Maxima). It is however very strong and you can pull keepers to the beach in surf with it.

When used with my fixed double loop knot (search archives) it is the best system I have found for big stripers in mid-day conditions on the flats. Educated bonefish did not mind it at all, and I use it for steelhead tippet in the PNW as well.

#10 ·
JLoop - Eleuthera

Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Your feedback is helping me improve my overall fishing and enjoyment. Speaking of Eleuthera enjoyment JLoop - make sure you stop by the the Ninja's conch stand Friday night. He actually has a new new sign with "Counch" spelled correctly!

Is it possible to paste a photo here or do I need to providfe a full URL?

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.