Fly Fishing Forum banner

Happy New Year!

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
Good luck and best fishes for everyone!:D

#6 ·
Happy and prosperous new year to all. And to WillieGun, have a great Hogmanay - Haggis, Claret Single Malt and all! As I write (6:55 pm) I see the clock is rapidly approaching midnight in bonnie Scotland!

#7 ·
fredaevans
given where you are in Russia are you up to your fanny in snow at this time of the year?
I'm not sure if I understood this correctly. As usually salmon-fishing season lasts from may until October (may 19th - October 7th last year). In the beginning the temperature was 26.6F, in the end 19.4F (about -3 and -7 degrees C). Some rods were broken and it was snowing often.:)
And welcome back to the Board.
Well, thank you. But I didn't left it. ;)

Willie Gunn
Willie Gunn is a nice fly on our rivers!:)

#9 ·
Ask, e mail address below. fe

FredAEvans@aol.com
Looking forward to the 'down load.' By the way "up to your fanny (butt) in snow is an old (probably everywhere) phrase indicating lots of snow that tends not to melt. Just gets deeper on the ground.

Born out side of Winnipeg, Canada and average on the ground was about 90 inches. As kids we were the "tunnel rats" that burrowed the tunnels to get to the well head, chicken coop, etc. Sounds like a pain, but was actually great fun.

As you dug out the tunnels, the snow went on the stove for freash water. Your body heat would melt the snow in the tunnel(s) and this would freeze over pretty quickly. "Zipped around under ground," stayed dry and, like an igloo,' the air temp usually wouldn't/couldn't go much below 32 degrees.

Get to the chicken coop and we'd poke holes in the snow cover for air/ventilation and the chick's would stay fairly warm and tostie. Igloo effect again.

:hehe:

#11 · (Edited)
Ask, you're 100% correct about 'idioms' in the American Language.

Same problem folks have here in the USA; we "speak" American, but write in "English." This is the major reason a lot of American's have trouble writing; they forget (or don't know) that you have to translate from one language (spoken) into another (written).

Then you add 'idioms' to the mix and it can get very interesting. But it's the richness of the language that makes 'American' the language of commerce, fleight, etc., world-wide. Probably no where else on earth could someone "coin a phrase" and have it universally understood within the culture in a matter of weeks. Probably faster if it's on MTV!

The Russian's found this out when you folks shot "Sputnik" into orbit. A word never heard in North America; within a couple of weeks everyone!! knew exactly what the term ment.

But the language is unique in that (barring idioms and local slang) you can travel the better part of 5000 miles (Key West, Florida to Barrow, Alaska) and hold a direct conversation with someone else. Germany, roughly the size of Oregon, go 100 miles and you're in another world.

Having said all that, you've got a good command of "American."
Fred

Forgot to add: I received your e mail but haven't had an opportunity to properly respond to you. However, 'tons' of interesting information; would you mind if I posted it to the board? I'm sure everyone would love to share the information on your area of the world.
fe

#12 ·
fredaevans Hal
I see. So, let's communicate more simple, it will help me to understand easy, ok?
However, 'tons' of interesting information; would you mind if I posted it to the board?
Certainly. :)
P.S. What does it mean - "FE" in the end of post?
:confused:

#13 · (Edited)
Ask: "A good example of a bad example."

Good catch. "FE" are my first and last initials. (Fred Evans)

And you're correct, we must (regardless of the language) watch our use of local or 'slang' terms. "Slanguage" can get you into real trouble. A given phrase can have a completly different meaning in a different part of the world.

A couple of examples of how to get yourself in 'trouble.' In America, the term "She's knocked up" suggests the young lady is pregnant; in New Zealand or Australia the same term means 'she's' hurt herself to the point (injury) she can't travel. Another is the term "fanny pack." In the States the term refers to a small self-belted bag you'd ware around your middle to hold you sun glasses, etc. Back in NZ and Australia the term "fanny" refers to a ladies (shall we say ....? ) 'reproductive organ.' There, a fanny pack is called a 'bum-bag.'

And I won't get started on hand gestures!!! Travel around the world and REFRAIN from any hand gestures; stick them in your pocket if you must.

(Do I sound like I've learned some of this stuff the "Hard Way?"
:smokin:

Almost forgot to add: "ton of good ..." means lots of good information.
fe

#14 ·
Great explanations Fred!

Also: in England saying "your wife is so homely" is a compliment but in the US it means ugly, and "a real heavyweight" here means powerful or important where it means fat and unkempt there. Yes, I found out the hard way too :rolleyes:

Ask - we have one universal language between us, the language of flyfishing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.