Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Pungo - Maiden Voyage

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions about purchasing a kayak, outfitting a kayak and flyfishing from a kayak. I have been following the board for a couple months. Took today off to take a maiden voyage in my new Pungo. Was a beautiful morning on Marion harbor. Took my 9wt flyrod along and caught 7 schoolie stripers ranging 14 to 20 inches in length. Had a great morning.!!! I am hooked... deeper than the stripers I think..LOL.

Tight lines.
Thanks again...

Swflyfisher :)

#3 ·
Congrats on your successful yak fishing debut. Marion harbor was where I had my first stripers of the year last season but it was about a month later than this a very, very cold - makes me shiver just to think about it and thats tough when we just had a record tieing 96F in New York City yesterday!

#4 ·
...SW...
You don't get off that easy...I'm lookin' for a report to get us all JUMP STARTED !!!
Pungo stability/maneuverability/comfort etc?! Flys? Line? Gear? Fish from the boat or access a secluded wade spot? Solitude or in a gaggle?
What do you have to say to encourage those lurkers, sitting on the fence wondering if the YAK thing is real or just a figment of our demented imaginations...'Way to chase away the winter blues and shed the scent of le SKUNK!
Talk to us, oh LUCKY ENLIGHTENED ONE!;)

#6 ·
Penguin's reply

...SW...
You don't get off that easy...I'm lookin' for a report to get us all JUMP STARTED !!!
Pungo stability/maneuverability/comfort etc?! Flys? Line? Gear? Fish from the boat or access a secluded wade spot? Solitude or in a gaggle?

Penguin
The Pungo is very stable.. i am 6'1 , 225 and plenty of room... although need to figure out a better way to store my spinning rod (didnt install a rod holder til i actually got some on the water experience) which I stored in the cockpit with me, the penn reel kind of got in the way and was uncomfortable. I also purchased the half work deck cockpit cover(no longer available as the manufacturer is in a patent fight), works neat. I used my orvis 9 foot, 9wt flyrod with intermediate line, a 9 foot 12 lb looped leader(Hey i am an optimist) and a white deceiver that I tied. Had no problem casting in the pungo and was able to strip line onto my lap. By accident i was moving backward to return to the spot i was catching fish, had cast out my fly and holding the rod between my legs trolling the fly. Actually caught the biggest fish of the day that way, about 20 inches. Flyfished from the pungo the whole time. I was in estuary type water in a cove off of the main harbor. I have to say the new seat in the pungo is great and highly recommended. I was able to adjust the back and thigh cushions on the fly.
The pungo tracks well even in a slight wind. I am pleased with my purchase.

I purchased mine at the Sakonnet Boat House in Tiverton, RI the people there were helpful, knowledgeable and was able to get the winter boat show discount as i purchased a boat in stock.

Tight lines
Swflyfisher

#7 ·
...MOST EXCELLENT...

SW...
Great report!!!
'Sounds like you've been doing this for a long time...hard to believe it was a maiden voyage...What a nice way to kick off the season, establish a base line, and inspire those who have yet to get out on the water!

I've seen the new seat system and it sure looks like a winner...
I've got the older version and, after reading your input,will have to upgrade...Thanks for the update!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.