Fly Fishing Forum banner

Which Sage Rod?

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  highway61 
#1 ·
Over the last couple of years I've wanted to purchase a 10 wt rod. Cost is an issue. Eventually I want to head down to Florida or the Caribbean hunting for larger game fish. Last summer I tried a Sage rplx which I liked. I have tried other modestly priced 10 wts like the TFO but think I can do better with a used Sage. What are the differences between the RPL, RPL+, RPLX, and RPLXI? Which one would you choose and why?

Steve

#2 ·
I've owned RPL and RPLX in 10wt.

The 10wt RPL (brown) is probably my favorite 10wt of all time - I ended up selling the RPLX to someone who fished heavy sinking lines from his boat.

I still have and love the 10wt RPL for a light tarpon heavy Striper rod.

Can't tell you about the others but you should call Rod Builder's Workshop in Kingston if you are looking for one of these rods.

#3 ·
Steve, I am a big RPL fan; have some of all three. IMHO, the whole RPL family is still very hard to beat in terms of performance per dollar. The + models are slightly faster; the RPLX has a slighter beefier butt and hence more lifting power plus larger guides (It was designed as a "saltwater version" of the RPL). You can't go wrong with any of them.

#4 ·
I've got a RPLX 9 wt.....my go to king/coho salmon rod. Have had this rod a loooong time and still love the softer tip.

8 wt 9'-6" SP (custom build) ....my go to steelhead and albie/bonito rod.

2- Xi2's (custom builds) a 10 wt. and a 8 wt. ......these are cannons
the 8 wt is great for bonefish and smaller bass/blues/bonito
the 10 wt is a powerhouse that really casts and fights bigger fish.

Just sold a 13 wt XI2.....beautiful rod, but never had the opportunity to use it.

I guess I am a Sage guy too! :D

#7 ·
Thanks guys.....

I have a good deal on a 10 wt rplxi right now. Can you explain the i? How is it different from rplx? I like the sage line too. I own a 5wt xp which I absolutely love, especially on the Deerfield. It lets me reach a lot of the river. I also have a the 9wt xi2 which I love. It has power, but there is sensitivity in the tip. I'd love to get the 10 wt. xi2 but it is more money than I want to spend.

Juro, thanks for the tip on the Rod Builder's Workshop in Kingston. I am going to call them tomorrow.

Todd how's the shoulder doing? It better be ready for the spring striper migration!!:D

Steve

#8 ·
Steve, The RPLXi has a softer tip than your Xi2. I have both in 6,8,9,10 & 12wts. I actually prefer the RPLXi over the Xi2 since its tactile feel for loading is superior for me. Having said that, the 9wt. Xi2 is my striper rod. Other than the soft tip, the rods are comparable except the RPLXi is available as 2, 3, & 5 piece rods. As you know, the Xi2 is a four piece rod. I suggest you cast before purchase, if possible.

#9 ·
Steve, just noticed your comment on the XP. I did a side by side with an RPL and an XP, both 9wt, same line. I found them remarkably similar. The XP has a smaller diameter and gives a bit lighter swing weight feel. It is probably a smidge faster than the RPL; I could get just a little more distance.

#10 ·
Reddington

If you are looking for a value 10wt, you might want to check out the Reddington CPX. I picked one up to use as a backup rod last year and prefer it to my Xi2 10. Great casting rod and the reddington warranty service is faster and cheaper than sage. If you buy a discontinued sage you might find that the warranty service takes forever...that has been my experience at least.

The Xi2 10 is the better heavy lifting rod for big albies, small tuna or anything that is going to take you to the rail. It's a pretty beefy 10.

#11 ·
I think some of the new high-powered materials are best applied at lighter rod weights - for instance I have a T&T 7wt for bones that can punch such tight loops that I was outcasting others on windy cold front days where they opted for 9wts. So I tried the 10wt same and found it to be much too stiff for my liking.

I recently raised my power windows in the last 1.5 inches of my trusty discontinued RPLXi 9wt, which is a nice supple yet powerful rod and my favorite while wading on the flats for stripers. As Dave pointed out, it took weeks - but they restored it perfectly. I got reacquainted with my older RPL during that time and had the same thought I had years ago when they discontinued it - they probably HAD to discontinue it or no one would stop buying it!

#12 ·
Well, I jumped on a rplx in immaculate conditon for $100. I had a chance to cast it in the sellers back yard. I really liked the action. I thought it was too good of a price to pass it by. Geeeze...and I had to explain to the wife how this was an early Christmas present!:lildevl:

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.