Fly Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead Fly of the week – Winter’s Hope

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chromedome 
#1 ·
The Originator of this fly is Bill McMillan of Washougal Washington. He developed the fly in 1969 and 1970 and it has since become one of the better-known steelhead flies in existence. The fly is usually tied on a large hook and is designed to agitate and aggravate steelhead into striking. In recent years this fly has been becoming popular on the Gaspe peninsula for Atlantic Salmon.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Collar: Blue hackle with purple hackle in front.
Wing: Two yellow hackle tips back to back between two orange hackle tips.
Topping: Golden-olive calf tail (sometimes a golden pheasant crest is substituted).
Head: Claret

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
McMillan often tied these on very large sized hooks up to 5/0. From what I gather it was mainly to quickly get the fly deep using his dry line method on a long clear leader without adding extra weight. I tied some up on a copper tube with a #4 hook though Charlie, they didn't come out nearly as pretty as yours. My hope (no pun intended) was to get around the large, damage prone, hook. I tried them a few times with no luck so far.

#4 ·
McMillan no longer lives on the Washougal. He moved north in 1997 and now lives on the banks of one of the "S" rivers. He still ties the fly on very large, heavy iron loop-eye salmon hooks for winter steelhead and still fishes it with a floating line and long leader, although now he will most likely be found fishing with a 2-hander.

It remains a very good winter steelhead fly here in the PNW, and it is just as effective when tied on more normal hooks of #2/0-#4 hooks.

#5 ·
McMillan used the general color scheme of the silver doctor to come up with this pattern. I find it interesting that he would choose this classic atlantic salmon fly as a starting point. There was some discussion in his book on the rationale for the colors of the fly. But to me its curious because I've never seen any other reference to the silver doctor as being a fly for steelhead.

#6 ·
I believe if you read some of the old stuff on steelhead fly fishing by Bergman and Zane Grey you will find mention of the Silver Doctor.

Blue is still a very underated color for PNW steelhead. It seems that most folks use orange, red, and purple; but neglecting blue is a mistake, especially in the summer/fall.

#7 ·
flytyer said:
I believe if you read some of the old stuff on steelhead fly fishing by Bergman and Zane Grey you will find mention of the Silver Doctor.

Blue is still a very underated color for PNW steelhead. It seems that most folks use orange, red, and purple; but neglecting blue is a mistake, especially in the summer/fall.
flytyer,

Thanks for the added info. It possibly helps explain McMillan's color choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.