Fly Fishing Forum banner

DNA Holofusion Baitfish

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jamie 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally found a good supply of holofusion. I think Slinger has almost cleared out New England :)

So here is my first attempt at a baitfish pattern using this material. Trying to go for more of a herring look. The fly is about 5 inches long. Any comment appreciated as this is a new material to me and also looking for tips on effective herring colors as I have not used them before.

Pattern:
Hook: Tiemco 600SP 2/0
Belly: Polar Holofusion tied in at midpoint and folded back
Wing: Polar holfusion for first half and then pink, lavender, lt. blue, navy blue.
Lateral line: Veiled silver polar flash
Eyes: Mirror eyes covered with plasti-dip.

Really simple to tie and it passed the bathtub test. Holofusion rocks.

-sean

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sean. looks great but it`s a little short. The herring are close to 12". The later run of Bluebacks are a little shorter. The bugaboo with herring flies is to get the length without sacrificing castability. I have no doubt it will still catch.
Slinger

#5 ·
Yeah it is way to short but hopefully as a generic baitfish thing it will work as a medium sized fly. Have you found a good way to use this stuff for larger flys? Seems fouling could become an issue. Maybe just stick to slammers and such for the big flies.

As for locating plasti dip it has been a long few weeks trying to locate it after reading about farrar using it. I finally just went with ebay as most of the places I found did not carry it in clear. It comes in a tall big mouth cylinder so the next trick is getting it into an applicator bottle which you need to do to be able to work with it on a fly. The stuff has the consitency of snot so you cannot just pour it into the applicator bottle. I ended up using a plastic cake icing bag of all things and used it to fill up my apllicator bottles with the stuff. It is toulene based like softex but if you use it with the bottle the fumes are not too bad.

It works really great though instead of epoxy. Using the applicator tip you can squeeze it in between the eyes and bond them to each other from the inside. The eyes are not going anywhere with this method. Also due to its consistency it does not run so it is very easy to work with and minimal fly rotation is required. It is basically a thick softex and I am really happy with the results do far. from what you were telling me about how you are using softex I am thinking you will really like it as well.

PM me offline if you need any help getting a hold of some.

-sean

#6 ·
Sean have you tried household goop mixed with toulene,great stuff,it feels slightly rubberish when cured ,won't yellow or crack like epoxy if you strike a hard surface on your backcast( I'm talking from first hand knowledge).You can also mix it as thin or thick as you like,premix it and store it in a glass baby food jar.

#7 ·
One trick to creating big flies is to make an under skeleton of super-hair or fish hair - hit it with softex or any similar product, and then just tie a sparse yak hair fly on top of it. It prevents fouling and allows you to make a large fly that is easily cast on a fairly light weight rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.