Fly Fishing Forum banner

2010 Forum Benefit Events - Big Brother / Casting for Recovery

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Midgefly 
#1 ·
New England Area Members: Big Brothers and Sisters Flyfishing Day; and introducing a Casting For Recovery Event

I am calling upon good people in the New England area to participate in 2010 events to benefit those in need. We enjoy so much from our sport in the course of a season that we can afford to share a little time and wisdom with kids from challenged family situations and women who have survived breast cancer. We have a lot to offer with our knowledge and friendship, but their appreciation of the experience always gives us something to treasure as well.

Big Brothers Day is scheduled around Father's Day, as it's an awkward time for these kids.

Since it will take a while to coordinate the new Casting For Recovery event I suggest we target late summer or early fall. I will communicate responses from inquiries I have made as I receive them. There are currently no retreats scheduled in MA at this time, perhaps we can fill that void.

Stay tuned, and please do all you can to participate this year.

best,
Juro

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks guys!

The scale of fund-raising goes something like this:

1) lunches
2) awards for kids
3) boat ride
4) transportation

I'm starting the fund-raising process in March for a June (weekend before/after Father's Day) target date.

I'll work with Emily @ BBBS to get a per-head estimate based on previous years and where ever we land I'm sure it will be FUN and the heartfelt experience for all involved as it has consistently been.

Mark, if your bank graciously provides the lunches again I will focus on the awards (we're out of those neat flyboxes from Nick) and the cost of booking a shuttle so they get to have a boat ride. In a perfect world we could get them on a charter bus instead of making all of the big brothers / sisters drive individually down to Chatham from the city in pairs, we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, this year I am not shackled by personal distractions this year, and am motivated to make this the best year ever.

Please join me in this quest.

#6 ·
I'll support. Be there, schedule allowing...the earlier the dates can be set, the better.

One idea for fund raising that I've seen work is a Forum auction. Members can auction off gear or services (i.e. everything from guiding to tax prep to tackle to barbecue grills) and contribute all or part to the fundraiser. Contributors could have the option of paying through the Forum Paypal.

#7 ·
Great to hear you're in!

For Casting for Recovery, I think we can help BEST by getting together and hosting a Retreat event for cancer survivors. I noticed there are no retreats planned in MA in 2010, maybe we can change that!

Per BB/BS I would like to begin by fund-raising outside of the Forum membership, perhaps businesses, grants as we have had in the past, and public contributions.

(Contributions from Forum members may be needed later since we have done no fund-raising for 2010 hosting costs yet! We'll have fund-raising at the Spring Clave, other events as well that should be enough for this low-budget operation :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.