Fly Fishing Forum banner

Polar Fiber Flatwing

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 · (Edited)
In getting ready for the opening of the season I'm tying sparser stuff. Here is an idea using the flatwing style of the "Rhody Flatwing" but building a body out of greyish polar fiber. This is done on a size 2 hook (the photo is deceiving oversized..dohhh)
See image a couple of posts below.

Here's the recipe:

Hook: 1/0 down to 2 saltwater
Tail: Brown and tan hackle
Thread: 6/0 or 3/0 tan
Body: Polar Fiber-white ir grey (I like grey)
Flash: Whatever you want for synthetic flash, I used green
Eyes: stick on 2 mm
Head: Epoxy

1. Tie on a hackle to back of hook shank like a deceiver but in the flatwing style (feather parallel to floor)

2. move thread up to near head but not all the way up and tie in the flash above the flatwing, just a couple of strands.

3. Now take a pinch of polar fiber and tie it into the head. Rotate hook and tie in another pinch. Repeat all the way around the hook until the pola fiber is evanly distributed around the head.(it should take 4 or 5 pinches. Not too thick, avoid leaving gaps.

4. Wrap a nice head, whip finish, and stick on eyes.

5. Put epoxy on the head and dry evanly (motor wheel helps).

6. Cast into a pod of Albies and hang on!!!!

See less See more
#7 ·
Quentin,
Fresh out. I think a Bonito swam away with the last one. I'll tie some up soon. I can tell you this though- It is a flatwing style tie. That means take one good feather (a piece of hen hackle)and lay it down on the hook shank so that it is parallel to the floor. It gives a wider profile from the top (or bottom) but only the width of the feather. It's subtle and not more than 1/3" wide. It's probably evan more subtle once you drag it through the wash ??? I'd like to say this drives fish crazy but I just don't know.
This fly seems to work though.

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.