Fly Fishing Forum banner

Relapse

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Well just because the spring season is drawing to a close it doesn't mean I have to stop tying Intruders! :razz:

This one uses Silver Pheasant tail instead of ring neck - I like the effect!

#2 ·
Kush,

I told you that you were developing a serious "Intruder" fly tying addiction, now there is no doubt that you have a full-blown case of "Intruderholism". There is no hope for your quick recovery now. Next you will be looking for ways to find commercial accounts so that you can have an excuse to tie more and more and more of them. I can see it now, you will be compelled tie "Intruders" and "boobies" and then place them in the same place!

Seriously, this one looks like a great clear water fly to use when the river has been pounded pretty hard.

#6 ·
I think you've nailed it

Tyler:

The combinations just never stop. I like this one very much. Gonna have to try this one on the Columbia River rainbows soon.

Loco Alto........tying instructions....If you can locate a copy of the Spring 2003 Fish and Fly , Ed Ward has a great write up on the intruder, as well as the only pattern I have ever seen.....it is a labour intensive fly....plan on 20-30 min each....

Here is a link for you to start.
http://www.fishandflymagazine.com/

Tyler: you must have these down to about 10 min each by now???

Nice work.

Jake

#7 ·
Steve,

I agree with Jake, get ahold of that article - it is the best instruction available (except from Ed himself).

Jake, well not 10 minutes, but certainly not the 45-50 minutes it used to take! I have found that advanced prep of the pheasant tail really helps, I'll split 2 0r 3 tails all at once which make things easier. As well, tying on tubes is much more streamlined than on a shank, I don't have to fiddle around with the mono loop. But still, it is 25-30 minutes/fly.

#8 ·
Sorry .....made a mistake

Steve.....the magazine is Fish and Fly however, I stand corrected the correct one was Winter 2002 ..not Spring 2003.

Tyler....I agree the tube is by far the easiest way to tie this one. I have been buying the 1/8th ID ( inside diameter) air brake line from Lordco Automotive supply....the fellow gets it in for me 50' at a time....cheap.....16 cents a foot.

I have also been soaking the pheasant tails overnight....then stripping the barbs from the center of the quill....comes off in a really nice single piece, rather than splitting the quill with a razor.

I have also been tying some pretty cool looking flies previously called a name I will not repeat here for fear of being deleted...needless to say the fly has been renamed the SELECTOR..I have adapted them to the Tube and adapted the use of the intruder concept ...Ostrich and all.

Click on the link to and scroll down the pdf. file to see the fly.
http://www.bcfff.bc.ca/Fly Lines June 2002.PDF

It is tied on a barrel swivel...something I found very frustrating,...so you guessed it...I tie it on a tube and use the juntion tube to pull the swivel up inside of it...allows for the hook to trail to whatever length I like

Best regards....Jake

#11 · (Edited)
Tyler

Having trouble shrinking the image enough to fit, and still see it.

Log onto. www.bcfff.bc.ca

and click on newletters ( left side of margin) then go to June 2002. Scroll down to near the bottom of the pdf file and it should show the fly...somtimes takes 10-15 seconds to load the pdf if you are on cable.

Regards....Jake

If this doesnt work out too well I will take a couple of digital photo's of the bastardized versions that I am tying, and post them tonight when I return to work.

Sorry guys you will have to log onto the BCFFF site to see it can't reduce it enough.

Posting my versions tonight.....

Jake

#18 ·
As those of you who saw Mike Kinney tying at the Fly Fishing Show have seen, Mike ties a fly that has a pair of dry fly quality saddle feathers (grizzly natural or dyed) tied like this fly of Norseman.

Mike's fly uses marabou wrapped on the trailing hook and either a tube or a hook with the bend cut off for the front of the fly on which he ties a shoulder of dubbing and then wraps marabou and either dyed guinea or mallard flank as a face hackle. This fly of MIke's is a full 4 or 5 inches long and he uses this fly only for winter runs.

It is MIke's considered opinion that the stiff saddle hackles sticking our the rear of the fly entices steelhead to strike because it is a very visable but also somewhat subtle visual cue that triggers an aggressive strike response.

#20 ·
Tyler

Kush PM on the way......

Fly Tyer.....I have to agree with Mike Kinney. Both he and Ed Ward have the right idea...the shoulder of the fly , if you will, props up any marabou or ostrich, creating a vortex for the water to flow over and really make the material dance in the water.

I use a dubbing brush of twin copper wires, with seals fur trapped in between the two wires for the shoulders of my flies. Alec Jackson demonstrated this in his Psuedo Speys. The brushes are made using the Nor Vise, which I just love tying with.

Jake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.