Fly Fishing Forum banner

Aqua seal

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott K 
#1 ·
While trying to get the end of the Aqua seal opened up the bottom split out . My question is , does anyone know how to get this stuff off . Thank's Fish-head:(

#3 ·
MY FINGER'S FRED . The good new's is I came up with a new flavor last night , that the fish really liked today up top . What a circus up there the last couple of day's . Casey was real good to us for the first 2hrs. Then the bait brigade showed up in boat's , I have never got so many dirty look's in my life and guide's rowing up on us and over are line's before up there . We were told that we were lucky, told to us by a guide that we got lucky . I had to say you are right , do a have couple dollar's so I could go by some lottery ticket's , never got that lucky before .Rain stopped arond 10:30 turned into a nice cloudy day .:)

#4 ·
The only way I've found to take Aquaseal off fingers is time. :( One thing I've found with Aquaseal that can help prevent accidentally sticking things together, i.e. wader legs, is to cover the glue with a thick sheet of polyethylene after applying it. when the glue is dry the polyethylene peels off,

#6 ·
Re Aqua Seal:

Has anyone ever managed to get more that one application out of a new tube?

Whenever I use this stuff, (and I think its great for a whole bunch of applications other than fixing leaks), the next time I go to use it the opening is jammed solid with a solid plug of material which defies all attempts to clear.:confused:

Any advice humbly received:)

#7 ·
Loss control.

Apply a thin film of vaseline to areas of skin that will be exposed to Aquaseal or marine Goop, etc... Make sure you wash your hands off before driving.

A thin coat of vaseline on the threads as well as the end of the tube helps prevent sealing as well.

#10 · (Edited)
fish-head said:
I thought I got all the leaks patched on my wader's . Does anybody know or how to find the remaining leak's ? Fish-head
Do you have a vacuum that you can hook up a hose to the exhaust? If so this is my method.

Put the hose into the waders and tie the top of the waders off with a string (I used duct tape once and it took a lot of work to get the adhesive off :( ). With the hose in the exhaust of the vacuum turn on the vacuum and inflate the waders like a balloon. Spray the waders with soapy water to find and mark the leaks. My experience has been that seams in the crotch, and burr/thorn holes are toughest to track down. This method has worked for them.

Good luck.

#11 ·
From what my buddy told me what they do after using it , they put a piece of marking tape of flagging tape under the cap .Then they put it into the the freezer . They use alot of it on there rain gear at the Hatchery where he work's . I have not tried this yet . Fish-Head

#12 ·
Low temperature = slowed down chemical reaction - now why didn't I think of that? The vaseline trick should work as well - maybe a belt & suspenders approach.;)

Thats great because this stuff is incredibly useful beyond plugging holes in waders. :)

#13 ·
Exactly, regarding the freezer. Never heard of the flag taping trick, but whenever I use aquaseal, I close the tube tight and then put it into the freezer for a few hours and then take it out.

Now another trick, well, not trick, is when you use it, if it does get somewhat stuck and this can do two things, is to put it into some warm water (closer to hot) for about 10 minutes. This will loosen the hold on the cap, (usually, depends how well you froze it last time, hehe), and it also increases the viscosity of the aquaseal so it spreads a bit easier onto your waders, or whatever you're using it for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.