Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter deep freeze!

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Went out this morning, started the snowblower, and cleaned off another 4 inches of snow. Thermometer was in a free-fall - 2 below when I started, 6 below by the time I finished. Snow is forecast for the next three days. (Man, that snowblower is really paying for itself!) I haven't heard the season total, but somewhere around 110 inches for the year.

Lake Ontario won't have any low water problems this spring!

BTW, the woodchuck (groundhog) was wrong! At the current rate, 12 weeks before spring is more like it!

A guy was describing seeing his buddy finishing up a couple of hours on a local trib:

"I saw this creature, beard iced up, with snot dripping from his nose, and 2 inches of ice encasing his waders, and it was XXXXXX, just finishing up! I had to help him get that gear off ......"

The steelies haven't started to run in any numbers - streams are low, clear, and pretty much frozen over in the slower water. Just the occasional fish. When the thaw starts, watch out!

BobK

See less See more
#2 ·
Winter Blues

I am so sick of winter......

As for that groundhog in PA, maybe we should snatch his butt out of his cozy hole and shave him and send some hair to all the forum's members, then we can all tie Punxsutawney Phil flies... :devil:

Sorry, just sour grapes to winter...

#6 ·
Bob I agree on the snow blower earning its keep. This year I'm not looking at it saying "I could a bought a boat" like last year when we didn't get any snow.

Fred,heres the local forecast for the next day and a half. :(
The supersoaker duel has to be postponed due to frozen weapons.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy and cold. Lows near zero. West winds 15 to 20 mph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday
Mostly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Much colder with highs 10 to 15. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday Night
Very cold. Becoming mostly clear by early in the evening. Lows 5 below to 15 below.

#7 ·
Yeah, So What !

:razz:

And for your information, Mr. "I won't taunt you poor people in the eastern half of the United States, who're experiencing one of the deepest southerly flows the Northern Jet Stream has taken in a number of years, bringing Arctic air right out of the Polar Region as far south as south-central Florida" - we know. :tsk_tsk:

You poor souls are experiencing extremely mild, perhaps drought or water conservation causing weather, because news reports here, in our barren wastelands, described re-routing the Iditarod sled dog race due to lack of appreciable snow and dangerous conditions, showing the band of mild air over the Pacific coast.

Are we supposed to be sympathetic? :rolleyes: ;) :devil:

#9 ·
I don't need sympathy!

I'm NOT complaining - just passing out info in upstate NY. I do feel bad that I can't get out "and teach flies how to swim", but I tie flies to keep occupied, and organize my flies and gear. Only thing is I miss the exercise.

Last 2 years, we were hard hit by drought. Hopefully, this year will be a little more "normal" (whatever that is!)

BobK

#10 · (Edited)
mjyp said:
Nothing like standing on the train platform at 6am with a 15mph wind and single digit temps.

Man are we spoiled.
Sure there is ! - double or more the windspeed, say, like, steady 25, gusting to 50+, and you can be here right now - if you hurry you can enjoy that - tonite and tomorrow!:whoa:

Watching people trying to walk down the street in front of my building today, being stopped in their tracks by the wind - that's what we have here now. :eyecrazy:

p.s. - Bob, that was directed at Fred Shirtsleeve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.