Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Gaitor Tape or Tuck
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2000, 05:51 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gaitor Tape or Tuck

For sand and surf, it would be nice to find a non-marking extra-wide adhesive tape to replace the velcro gaitor. For some multi-pc Spey rods, nothing can replace electrical tape for ensuring that the ferrules endure the torque of river casting techniques. Likewise, although I use the velcro gaitors I can't help but imagine that the right tape would be far superior in preventing sand entry into my scuba boots. The wonderful freedom of wearing scuba boots with breathable waders is beyond compare and I can't imagine going to boot foot waders in deep sand just to avoid sand in the shoes. The gaitors do a reasonable job, but there must be something better.

Another option would be a tuck and roll system like drysuits use... whereby the scuba boot would have a flap along the top edge, and the gaitor would somehow interleave it and roll into and over it so not particles could defeat the baffle.

Such an integrated scuba boot and gaitor combination would DEFINITELY get my dollar. Maybe what I need to do now is approach Sherwood with the idea?