Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Redington Reels
Thread: Redington Reels
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2000, 12:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Redington Reels

Drag test (inadvertent) - I strung up a 13/14 wide arbor on Sat. with the wrong backing. I had to get it all off, so I put an empty spool on the winder machine and held the reel with drag on moderately light. When I stepped on the pedal the line peeled beautifully off the reel so I played around a little with the settings, stopping and starting, etc. Combined with the consistency that the wide arbor provided, the drag discs were smooth the reel gave me a real sense of confidence that it would stand up to big fish. This was more of a test of over-runs, moderately set long run consistency, and some start-stopping. It was an assessment of how the reel would perform as a palmed fighting tool with moderate drag setting.

I did not test high-load / max-lift. Wouldn't mind it though. Hey Josko - how 'bout bringing BobD (Redington Pro Staff) and I out for some scary big stuff fishing so I can film you two field testing the new reels?

If and when we do these kind of tests there will be no bias on the results, we will always tell it like we see it for the good of member knowledge. That kind of policy won't get us much in the way of advertising dollars but it will sustain our credibility as a consumer's forum, which is the priority.

juro