Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - It was only a matter of time......
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2001, 04:39 PM
Fly chucker

It was only a matter of time......

I guess that it's about time that I finally hop aboard this message community. Let me start by saying that I am not by any means a flyfishing purist; rather, flyfishing is my most preferred method for pursuing gamefish. When the conditions for flyfishing are not possible, I will still angle using conventional methods. However, I think it's fair to say that my experiences have shown me that most gamefish can be caught fairly regularly with the long rod, so I use it for about 95% of my fishing.

I reside in central Connecticut. I grew up in Maine and have also lived in New Hampshire and Alabama for short stints. During my college years I worked as a guide for a service out of Portland, Maine during the summers. This afforded me the opportunity to explore some of the best fishing in the northeast, both fresh and salt. If anybody needs info for coastal or inland fishing in western Maine, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm always very willing to share info with other anglers. I also believe that there really aren't any "secret" spots left. If you think that you have a spot all to yourself, chances are that you're just not there when others are.

My move to Connecticut has given me a chance to fish some great water. While I like going after trout in the Farmington, Salmon, and Housatonic Rivers, I don't really like the crowds. Fortunately I'm more at home chasing warmwater species such as large and smallmouth bass, pike, etc., and saltwater species such as stripers and bluefish. I have already visited some prime spots in Rhode Island and can't believe the variety of coastal gamefish, even compared to Maine.

I tie all of my salt water patterns, and most of my fresh water patterns. It's a great way to pass the winter or to fill a gap in the inventory of one of my fly boxes. I also practice catch and release to preserve the resources that we have.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and information with all of you. You'll probably see me mostly on the striper and warm water boards, but not exclusively.

;-)

Mark