Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Flies for new Pacific Salmon book
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Recent Member

Send for those submission forms

Glad to see all of these responses. BE SURE TO SEND TO MY e-MAIL ADDRESS FOR A FORM IF YOU PLAN TO SUBMIT A FLY:
Sparky, if you want the butorac Flashy Lady in the new edition of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon, by all means tie it up and submit it. That will save me from tying it. Joe was a dear and long-time friend of mine and was featured in "Tube Flies" the book I co-authored with Mark Mandell. Send it in a couple of colors.
The first edition of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon actually sold a few thousand copies along the northeast coast to saltwater striped bass fishermen since it came out before Lou Tabory's saltwater books. They used the techniques, flies and equipment for striped bass fishing.
When it comes to saltwater fly fishing, it was happening in Washington and British Columbia back in the 1930s, from boats and beaches. I have recently researched the history of fly fishing in Washington and British Columbia extensively. From what I've discovered, Washington fly fishers Letcher Lambuth, Roy Patrick, Wesley Drain, Enos Bradner, Dawn Holbrook, Eddie Bauer and others of the time may have been the most cutting edge group of fly fishers anywhere, bar none. They were incredibly talented and inquisitive but extremely unassuming individuals a way out on the west coast where people didn't know of the alchemy they were brewing in salt water flies, fly line design and saltwater fishing techniques. This history will be expanded considerably in the new edition of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon.
I do not demean the landmark contributions of east coast fly fishers, because the east coast certainly has its own list of great ones. I am probably a little biased because I live here. However , I did spend a week fishing out of Chatham on Cape Cod in 1998 for stripers with Tom rosenbauer of Orvis and a marvelous guide named Tony Biske(sp). We had a wonderful time catching stripers in a great area. I'm planning on going back one day.
I didn't begin casting flies for salmon and cutthroat in the salt until I returned from the Marine Corps in 1955. I was coached by a man named Jay Foote, owner of Foote's Sporting Goods in Federal Way. At the time Jay had been casting flies to coho near Redondo since 1937.
Good Fishing,
Les