Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - 2nd attempt
Thread: 2nd attempt
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Recent Member

Beautiful.
The speed at which you are progressing is astonishing.

I like the low under wing being separate from the main wing. It brings additional profile to the body in an interesting way. I would keep it a separate and distinct element, related more to the body than the main wing. I would not be too quick about increasing the main wing size, maybe mess around with its position a little. I would not change the tinsel size but would probably reduce it to three turns. I might reduce the amount of wraps on the herl a turn or two and look for herl with slightly shorter fibers to make it more compact. These are not meant as criticism, constructive or otherwise, but are what my eye tells me that I might try if I were developing this pattern. Regarding the cheek. It looks like dyed Amherst or GP tippet. Is that what it is and did you dye it yourself. Also is the cheek actually a cheek on the side or is it laid on top of everything else on the top of the fly?

It is a unique opportunity to be able to watch a creative tier develop both a pattern and his own skills right here. Those of us who value the creative process are certainly appreciative of your posts.

TC

Last edited by TBC; 01-04-2004 at 08:15 PM.