Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - rods for Baja
Thread: rods for Baja
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 06:00 PM
I remember sometimes...,

The rods you take will depend on the type of fish you are chasing, which has alot to do with the time of the year you are in the baja. Friends and I have fished the Baja quite a bit, over the years. LaPaz/Loretto/Rancho Leanardo on the Sea of Cortez side and Cabo up through Todo Santos on the Pacific side. Sounds like you already have the 9 wt rigged up, that is a good all around general rod, especially if you are shore casting for smaller rooster fish. Most guys seem to bring 2 or 3 rods. An 11 wt is good addition to your 9, as 15 # dorado, and 8# tunas can bust a 9 wit. I have not had much luck with the bill fish, but roosterfish, dorado, tuna can be had from pangas within site of shore. I have seen 2 wahoos caught on flyrods, both guys were stretching out their lines behind the boat, while returning to port. The 13 wt landed about a 40#er. If I was taking only 2 rods the 9 and 11 would get my nod (I would try the 2 hander 11 wt from Juro). Intermediate and sinking shooting heads lines would be my choices. Dorado can be had on the surface at times, but even then a popper on an intermediate line works fine. Good Luck. DK