Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Has anyone poled a yak?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 09:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to The French guy
I am preparing a fly fishing paper where everything will be explained.
First, if at the begining the kayak was a way to get on the flats because I could not afford a flat boat, there are now many occasions when I say no to people who invite me to go fishing with them.
The kayak is the best flat boat as long as you do not have to paddle too much. I limit my paddling to a maximum of 14 miles a day. (But I did much more).

Because I do not have any tools, I had to keep it simple and that is what saved me.
The platform is only an aquarium mount. I just cut the legs out and put a piece of plywood on top, then painted the whole thing with marine paint. It is attached with the scuba tank belts at the back and some ropes to the eyelet a the front. Just behind the seat.
The push pole I use is a swimming pool alumimum cleaning pole (16', three pieces, telescopic). I adjust the length of the pole according to the water depth. At one end, there is a loop to pole in muddy flats and on the other end a pick to pole on hard bottom and to set the boat in muddy environments.
To set the boat, I use a loop to loop connection as I have a rope attached around my wait with a loop that just fits over the loop of the push pole.
I use also the anchor to set the boat in hard bottom env. The anchor is attached to the anchor and run through a system of pulleys to the platform. there is a knot on the rope and the rope is stuck under my foot when I pole with the anchor up. Setting the boat is easy... just let the anchor go and the knot gets stuck in the pulley eyelet.

When I fish under the bridges for big tarpons, I have two anchors. A mooring one and another one (the working anchor). I use a traveler to set the anchor an the front or the rear of the yak. Once a fish is hooked, I unhook the mooring anchor (that has a bouy) and drift with the fish out of the bridge (really risky) then, once I am clear, I fight the fish and use the second anchor. This is done at night. Tricky, dangerous, but thrilling.

Serge