Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - sage xi2-10wt
Thread: sage xi2-10wt
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am a big fan of the Sage single handers from way back. In fact I like a lot of the new rods coming onto the market, got to try a bunch in Denver. As always, there are some line weights in every model that are hot and other line weights in the same model that are not... but that's to be expected.

For instance, the old 9'6" 8wt 2-pc RPL... now that was a nice summer steelhead, large trout, estuary striper, atlantic salmon and bonefish rod all wrapped up into one although it required almost a 5' tube. Of course the 5-pc 8wt RPLXi travel rod was the cat's ass for traveling to the carribe especially if you wanted to hide it in the suitcase to prevent the wife from discovering the real reason for the second honeymoon in the Bahamas The 10wt 4-pc VPS and or 2-pc 10wt DS2 were both absolute sweeties to cast and fish as well.

I could also list a whole bunch of rods I felt were duds from virtually all manufacturers but there as just an many who'd say they were awesome.

A rod is only as good as the degree to which it matches the caster's style and preferences. Congratulations, it sounds like you hit paydirt!