Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Leader and shock tippet setup for tarpon...???
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 07:48 AM

Question Leader and shock tippet setup for tarpon...???

Which do you prefer, mono or fluorocarbon shock tippet for tarpon?

The water I fish (Central America) is either colored by tannins (like orange pekoe tea) or gray and turbid.

I am targeting medium to large tarpon.

The following is my leader and shock tippet setup: 2'of 40lb fluorocarbon attached to the fly line with an albright knot. Attached to that by loop to loop is 3'of 25lb fluorocarbon attached to 18" of SA 80lb fluorocarbon shock tippet and the fly.

Any comments on this setup or the materials would be appreciated. I only get away to tarpon fish once a year for four days. Three trips to date. I've managed to land several fish from 25 - 70 lbs. and have jumped some big ones. I had one break off or knot failure on a large tarpon which I believe was due to the knot at the leader to shock tippet being cut(?) by a gill plate. Since then I have lenghtened the shock tippet to 18" and now use fluorocarbon for my leader. I don't discount the possibility that one knot failure(?) may have been due to the fact that I was using mono for leader and fluoro for shock tippet. Thanks