Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Powell Fly Rods Is Selling Direct
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

IMHO - It's a big gamble.

The flyshop adds a tremendous benefit to the consumer's decision making, customer service, and they give you a lot more than what's in the bag when you leave the shop. Flyshop staff are avid fishermen and have a lot to offer. If you cut them out, you cut out your own local supply house for all the other things they invest in to stock their shelves so you can get what you need in a pinch. I can't tell you how many times a last minute run to a local shop has made my trip, and the shop could be 5 minutes away or 3,000 miles away from home when I am on a fishing trip. From my point of view, the more flyshops that dot the countryside the better!

JD - FYI

Manufacturers don't want to sell directly to the consumer in most cases. They would much rather have an intermediate party invest $ and hold the inventory. The last thing they want to do is handle the picking, packing and shipping to individuals from manufacturing, especially when the rods aren't out there in the various shops on location for people to fondle and fall in love with in the first place. IMHO, I don't think it's desirable in the vast majority of cases for them, but I could be wrong.