Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - barbless hooks?
Thread: barbless hooks?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 04:31 PM

Just got in from a half day charter, washed my boat and ate some lunch while I checked my email, and decided to run to my local fly shop and get some "NEW" hooks. At the 3rd one I found them.

They only had 3/0 and 4/0 GamaKatsu SC 10's, (well some I couldn't read the size) so I bought what they had. There was no one there that knew anything about the hooks so I came home.

The first thing I noticed was that there is a huge difference between a 3/0 and 4/0. That's a problem with the AKI's too.

The next thing that bothers me is that the barb broke off when I tried to mash it flat. Too much carbon in the steel? Could be I'm a grumpy old guide, ...don't know.

I also don't like the short shank, pretty hard to get a full size tarpon fly tied onto it. I am picky!

So I finally tested it's strength. Now this is only my way of testing and by no means scientific, but it's all I've got to go on....works for me sort of thing. I tied on 80# mono using a Homer Rhode loop knot and hooked it to my "IGFA certified Boga Grip"!

The damn thing bent at a little over 13#'s...!?!? What's up with that!

Nah...I guess I'm just one of "those" guides. I do fancy a nice Zin or Cab once in a while tho, if I can find one for under $25.

Mel